+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ToughLove View Post
    How would you ignore someone without hurting their feelings?

DD's school has a gate with a school crossing outside it. The crossing guard is a man in his late 50's, I'd say, and he is seriously THE most irritating person I have ever met.

Every single time I walk past him to get to the gate, he starts a conversation. And not a "Hi, how was your day?....Oh good, well I'll see you later" conversation, a full blown "Well hello again how was your day? My day was horrid, I dropped my phone and had to call Optus three times, the first time they said turn it back on and I did and it didn't work so the second time I just called my sister first, you'd like my sister, she lives in Melbourne and works at Safeway and she said..."

Normally I like talking to random people, but he talks without pausing for a response, ignores me when I say "That was the school bell, gotta go!" and when I give up trying to say goodbye and just walk away, he follows me, still talking, until I'm out of hearing range.

He does this every single day, at drop off and pick up, on the way in and out. Four times a day I have to avoid him.

I usually have to plan to leave the house at about 2:00 for the 3:15 pick up because I know I'll be trapped in what DH calls the Crossing Guard Loop.

I've tried pretending to and actually talking on the phone as I come up to him, but he just shouts whatever he's saying so I can hear it over whoever is on the phone.
    I've tried reading a book past him but he taps my book with the lollipop crossing stick and says something like "You didn't even see me here! Must be a good book! I remember I once read a book that... "|and it never stops.
    The first few times I just talked to him, going along with it, but when it's time for me to go he ignores me when I say goodbye and just keeps talking.

Socially, what is a polite way of saying "Never ever talk to me. Ever"?

I've considered putting in a call to the council he works for but it seems a bit excessive to complain about an old man whose only fault is that he has nobody to talk to.

DH got really sick of it early on, and now just walks past and says "Too busy right now buddy" without breaking stride, but the time I tried it he started talking to me about his busy day at the fabric store.

Help?
    Lmao!!! I don't think a bomb would stop this guy!! Lol

mummy to gods gift to us

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm sorry, I've been giggling all through reading this thread. I do feel very sorry for you, OP, and I don't know what I'd do in that situation. And I feel sorry for the old man too; it's strange that he's latched onto you though.

I think one of the reasons I've found it so amusing is that it subconsiously reminded me of this guy from Father Ted: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z88AiJtZpZI

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToughLove View Post
    On the way in I loudly said "good morning!" and hurried past. He still followed for about 5 metres talking to my back about why Woolworths doesn't sell bigger boxes of weetbix.
    On the way out I waved and *for the first time* started talking first with "Sorry can't chat,very very busy today!" and left asap. Again, he started talking to me anyway but I repeated and kept walking.

To answer a question, yes I'm the only one he talks to. He'll only say quick greetings to others if they're in front of or behind me, I am certainly the only one I've ever noticed him chatting to.

Also, if he did have a disability, how could I manage that? I have a great amount of patience for the disabled as two of my siblings are, but most days it honestly feels like harrassment when he follows me to keep talking at me.
    Looks like you have handled it the best way possible. You havent been rude, you have been able to get to point A to point B so it seems like you have approached it the best way you could.

Thing is I am sure most people wouldnt care so its nice that you are trying to spare his feelings as well.

I am sure if you keep doing it like that he will eventually latch on to someone else.

PS...I loved the pic you drew!

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I liked the picture too lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sariele View Post
    I'm sorry, I've been giggling all through reading this thread.
    Me too!!! Oh im sorry, i have no advice. Just soo funny reading what he has to talk about

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennos Mummy View Post
    Me too!!! Oh im sorry, i have no advice. Just soo funny reading what he has to talk about

Maybe I should just talk to him and start up a "Crossing Man Says" thread and record what he says day to day.

Ooo maybe hubbers can pose questions and I'll ask his advice. You'll get the most in depth and descriptive advice *ever*

I have to go back at 3 today so I'll try what I did this morning and hope after a few days he gets the message and picks someone else.

Maybe this has been going on for a few years, and the other, older, more seasoned mums wait for a new Prep parent to be plucked from the flock and submitted to The Crossing Man, and take bets on how long they last under the verbal onslaught.

I feel bad for teasing him now

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ToughLove For This Useful Post:

BluePixie  (30-05-2012),Eko  (28-05-2012),FindMyLunch  (24-05-2012),giggle berry  (24-05-2012),MamaC  (24-05-2012),MissMuppet  (24-05-2012),MuminMind  (30-05-2012),Sariele  (24-05-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    drawing of the day

Thanks
    Reviews
    Brilliant idea Tough Love! Can you make more drawings to illustrate his responses too?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Alphabetsoup For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (24-05-2012)

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by miss87 View Post
    Brilliant idea Tough Love! Can you make more drawings to illustrate his responses too?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    Heck I'd make a whole comic strip about it.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToughLove For This Useful Post:

Alphabetsoup  (24-05-2012),Sariele  (24-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Ah def need to bookmark this for awards for funniest thread, the diagram was just gold!