+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Head lice...and prevention

Hey all
    I'm battling a headlice infestation (again sigh) at the moment and I'm so sick of it!!!
    We've used dozens of store bought products and they're not working...
    We're going to try combing with conditioner once a week + spraying vinegar and water mixed with tea tree oil. Does anyone know how long to leave the vinegar on for (apparently this loosens the "glue" used to attach the nits, and what is the ratio of tree tea oil to water to use as a spray preventative?

I seriously want to chop my older DD's (12) hair off as she's given it to DD2 who's only 4 months old

Hmm...might still be an option if she keeps coming back with headlice from her dads. *mad*

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My ds#1 is seven and has been in school for 2.5 years now, and another 2 years of preschool daycare before that. We have never had nits.

The secret is, dont wash their hair every day. We dont do this to avoid nits, we do it because he has sensory processing disorder and touching his head is agony for him, so we only wash hair 3 times a week. (people are grossed out by this, but hey its necessary) as a result. Never had nits.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The cheapest sure fire method that I've heard of lately is to use orange juice every four days until all lice are removed. Must be 100% orange juice, NOT orange fruit drink.

Spray your child's hair every morning with water that has a squeeze of leave-in hair condition and a few drops of tea tree oil and lavender oil.

Thanks
    Reviews
    the conditioner needs to be done every day for a week if they already have bits and sprayed with tea tree oil before school every day. Once they are 'gone' then move on to weekly combing

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've never had nits here either. Some things that help are always wearing hair up. It's pretty common school uniform requirement in qld that all girls must have their hair up. I wash hats in hot water once a week and when they are going around I spray hats with lavender oil
    Hth

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wouldnt use anything but conditioner and a nit comb on the 4 month old as alot of the chemicals in nit treatments are toxic. Do the conditioner and combing everyday til there is no more nits and wash any hair accessories like brushes and hair lackys. As for the older child ,treat when she arrives ( i had to do this everytime my nephew was dropped at my house as he alwasy had nits) and if the child wears hats wash them too.Then same again use conditioner and sit down every day and comb them out til you cannot see anymore. I used tea tree oil as a deterant and tie the kids hair up when they are at school or friends. My nephew had his hair cut short but due to lack of maintaninece it was still full of them (feeling quite itchy now lol). Hope that helps.
    As for those that have never had a problem with nits , its just luck lol
    Last edited by lulu 2; 23-05-2012 at 12:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Touch wood, we have never had nits here either. My DD always wears her hair up when at preschool and now primary school. Coles also have a nit preventative spray. It's obviously not full proof, but as yet we have not had them. I would love a natural spray if anyone knows one, including the quantaties.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post
    The cheapest sure fire method that I've heard of lately is to use orange juice every four days until all lice are removed. Must be 100% orange juice, NOT orange fruit drink.

Spray your child's hair every morning with water that has a squeeze of leave-in hair condition and a few drops of tea tree oil and lavender oil.
    Do you spray the hair with the orange juice and leave it in or is it drank (sorry dumb question)?

Thanks for the teatree/lavendar ratio

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    We've not had nits yet *knocks on wood* and DD is 8. We use tea tree oil shampoo. But DD also gets eczema on her scalp and apparently the little buggers don't like it, so that would be about the ONLY good thing about eczema

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, I'm not going to use chemicals on my 4 month old, god knows it burns my head let alone hers!

I'm just so bummed...I can't seem to drill into her not to share her hair brush and things with her younger sibling (half sister) who apparently always has them and who shares a room with her while she and her older brother stay with their dad (we have 50/50 shared care).