+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 11 month old suddenly awake at 4am

DS suddenly are awake at 4am. He had an ear infection and was very unsettled till the antibiotics kicked in. He then slept throught he night for one night (as was his usual routine) and now wakes around 4am. He used to settle himself, but now starts crying and builds up to screaming, until he is picked up and taken out of the room. Nothing has changed in the room or with his routine before bedtime.

He has recently started crawling. At daycare there seems to be a similar issue with sleeping, as he will only sleep once a day, instead of his normal two sleeps. At night he is so tired that he falls asleep at 6pm.

I do not want to give him a bottle at 4am, as he never before had one during the night, but is it possible that he gets hungry now? He gets a relative big dinner with protein and carbs and his bottle, so I cannot think that he is hungry. And if I start with the bottle, he will be awake every morning at that time.

We have tried given him his teddy bear, but he is quiet for a few minutes and then throws it away and cries. And I do not want him to think that it is play time. We have also tried putting him in bed with us( wrong I know) once, but the crying did not stop.

I am up in arms at the moment, because both of us work full time and not sleeping properly is affecting the whole household. How do I teach him to sleep through again? Or is is just normal for babies to go through this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Any chance he's getting cold?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    4am is the coldest part of the night, try more blankets or clothing or a small heater in his room.
    He could be going through a growth spurt and is hungry.
    Maybe his ear is still sore?
    Also, there is nothing wrong with bringing him into your bed

Thanks
    Reviews
    we have the aircon on through the night, set at 20 degrees. He moves around a lot at night, but we try to keep him covered as much as possible and he is dressed warmly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If he's going to bed earlier there is a high likelihood he is hungry,
    If Ds sleeps all night he will wake around 4am too and want to nurse or get food and he's 23 1/2 months.

He will wake if he's cold too around that time

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone.
    I will get a sleeping bag and maybe try giving him a bottle at that time.