+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Body image after caesarean

Hi everyone, more sure if I've posted this in the right section or not, but hows everyone feel about their body after a c-section? Really need to vent where noone knows me so here goes. Sorry in advance.
    Feeling very down on my body lately and I can't seem to shake it. I haven't looked below my neck in the mirror in over two months and I don't look down when I'm naked! I've even taken to shaving my legs before I shower so I don't have to see my body. I had a pretty rough time when I had DD and ended up with an infection, the second and last time I went to the gym I burst my incision open (2 months after I had it) just using the treadmill and I've been to scared to go back. I have this whole draw of sexy lacey underwear I used to wear all the time and now I have this disgusting over hanging stomach and need to wear those high waisted support briefs or I feel like my stomach is going to tear open. I've been to the gp about the pain and he tells me its because I'm overweight (167cms, 78kgs, size 12) and I need to lose weight. During pregnancy I ate so healthy and gained nearly 30kgs, mostly fluid though but I was enormous. I've since lost 19 and had this major plan that I'd be back in my old clothes by the time DD was 6 months, shes 5 months on the 24th and I'm still way to big. I've been doing post natal pilates for the last two months and eating healthy when I do eat its just not coming off. I'm only 21, I dont want to feel this way anymore and I certainly don't want my DD growing up with a mum that has this sort of body image. I want her to see herself as beautiful no matter her shape or size but how the hell an I going to get her thinking like that when this is how I feel?!!! Sorry to be such a sook, I needed to get it out. I'm hoping someone can tell me that theres hope of achieving a good body image after going through a c-section?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to hear how you are feeling - coming to terms with your post baby body is certainly difficult, and something I think many women struggle with. Try not to be too hard on yourself, and I definitely wouldn't consider at size 12 as overweight! I put on a similar amount of weight through my first pregnancy, and I did find it difficult to lose that afterwards, which left me feeling quite down. In the end, I came to some acceptance that my body had done something fabulous and I worked on accepting the differences in my body as a new chapter in my life.

Given time (when my bub was around 9 months) I got back to my pre-pregnancy weight, but still didn't fit into a lot of my old clothes, as my body shape had changed significantly. To regain a positive attitude towards my body, I worked on feeling as fit and healthy as I could, taking the focus off my weight, and putting it on just 'feeling good' through healthy eating and exercise - and the rest followed. I also worked on getting some new clothes as I could afford them, I decided that the pressure to fit back into my pre-pregnancy clothes was part of the problem, and letting that go also helped. In fact, I packed up anything that didn't look good on my post-baby body, and forgot I ever owned it (but kept it just in case ).

You have done something amazing, you wear the 'love tattoos' of having your baby on your body, and that is something every woman should be proud of xxx

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    it takes 9 months to put on the baby weight, so it takes at least that long to get it back off! Even longer if you've had a c-section as it takes much longer to get back into regular excerise. I did nothing but gentle walking until around 5 months, then gently moved into my old routine (jogging and yoga). Once I did that it took a little over 9 months post partum to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight. And that was with a fairly easy recovery, and with an 'easy' baby who didn't cry heaps and slept through the night relatively early. It's such hard work looking after a newborn, do you think you could just concentrate on letting your body heal, sleeping as much as possible, eating as well as possible and taking it easy. It's really not forever, I know it seems like there's no light ay the end of the tunnel but you will start feeling more normal soon, I promise!

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

katezane  (23-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies. I guess expecting myself to fit back into my clothes is a little silly considering my body has definitely changed shape to. But I've just been back to the doctor and prescribed some more antibiodics coz apparently I still have an infection from said c-section five months on so hopefully once that clears I should be feeling loads better and can focus on losing the rest. But thank you for putting it into perspective, hopefully at nine months on I'll be at a happy weight