+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Change name by association?

Just wondering if I can use DFs last name by association?
    He put his last name down instead of my maiden name when filling out Dd1s school enrollment form, and it got me thinking, can I do this? Can I associate myself as his last name, before we get married and my surname will legally be changed to his?

I've been considering changing my last name to his by deed poll, but figured there's no point, but if I can do it by association for the time being, that would be great.

I've heard of people doing this, but I have no idea how it works?

Obviously with things like my bank acct and license, I can't - I know that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I know with children they can have a 'known by' name, as in DD has he fathers name legally but I could start using by surname and have this as her 'known by' surname.

Unfortunately for me she is now in grade 4 so it would be a lot of hassle but I'm seriously contemplating doing this for high school, especially now her dad is no longer in the picture.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by singlemumma82 View Post
    I know with children they can have a 'known by' name, as in DD has he fathers name legally but I could start using by surname and have this as her 'known by' surname.

Unfortunately for me she is now in grade 4 so it would be a lot of hassle but I'm seriously contemplating doing this for high school, especially now her dad is no longer in the picture.
    Mum did this for me in high school had my so called birth fathers name all the primary he was long gone by grade one she remarried my step dad when I was in yr 4 and I want his surname. I was enrolled in high school with step fathers surname as known as new fathers name and mum only changed it legally when I wanted to get my L's so from then on I am officially new fathers surname

Sent from my HTC Legend using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, you can call yourself whatever you like. There are a couple of docs that you can't change until it's done legally - passport, maybe drivers license and bank accounts? Missy_mack (I think) has good info on this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T 800 View Post
    Yes, you can call yourself whatever you like. There are a couple of docs that you can't change until it's done legally - passport, maybe drivers license and bank accounts? Missy_mack (I think) has good info on this.
    Awesome, those documents don't really see the light of day often so it doesn't really matter, but as long as I can do it for say DDs school enrollment and such that's all I really want

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have kept my maiden name ( purely for business ) but call myself Mrs DH and use his name in all social situations, I will change it eventually as it does get confusing! as pp said you can call yourself what you like but just remember to sign anything legal with the name on your drivers license /passport etc