+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Not at a petrol station, yes if it was in a supermarket car park and I'd hung around for a few minutes and no parent had shown up.

I'd call the police and also not hesitate to smash a window if the child was distressed or if the windows were up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes i would call if i waited around and the parents didnt return after 5 mins. If the child was distressed or it was hot id call immediately. I cant believe anyone would keave their child anywhere they could not see them!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    It would depend entirely on the situation. At a petrol station? No. In an undercover carpark in the middle of winter and the child was completely restrained and the engine was off? I'd give it a few minutes (maybe the parent had to park ages away from the trolley bay and was putting the trolley back). If they weren't back within 5 minutes (or the child looked distressed before that) then yes. In the sun? As above but I'd only give it a minute rather than 5. In hot weather? Straight away. And if there were signs of distress beforehand and it was hot and the cops still hadn't arrived I'd have no hesitation in smashing in a window. I'd rather be done for a minor felony than watch a baby or child suffer from heat exhaustion.
    We saw a baby in a car once in an underground car park. It wasn't hot or anything and the baby was locked in there, but it was just a baby think still in capsule. We called security, waited 5 minutes then called the police who waited on the phone with us, said they were sending someone out but gave us permission to smash the window if the parents werent back in 5 minutes. They came back and got an earful from us and security and had no idea why it was a problem.

The baby would have been about 2 months at most she said it was asleep when she left!?!? Security made her wait for police, don't know what happened after that.

We've done the same thing with dogs left in a car on a very hot day

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Petrol stations are definitely the exception.

The forecourt is monitored by shop staff quite strictly, if a car was idle for too long they would check it out I'm sure...

I've seen them do it, a car parked, filled up with gas and the owner left his toddler in there while he went to get McDonalds from the attached McDonalds, he got tied up there waiting for fries or something and the staff came out to the car, police arrived to break into the car just as the father came out with his Maccas (we're in QLD, there's no mucking around with kids in hot cars), he looked horrified, but I was really glad they were proactive about it, the police spoke to him and I'm pretty sure that was that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    It would depend entirely on the situation. At a petrol station? No. In an undercover carpark in the middle of winter and the child was completely restrained and the engine was off? I'd give it a few minutes (maybe the parent had to park ages away from the trolley bay and was putting the trolley back). If they weren't back within 5 minutes (or the child looked distressed before that) then yes. In the sun? As above but I'd only give it a minute rather than 5. In hot weather? Straight away. And if there were signs of distress beforehand and it was hot and the cops still hadn't arrived I'd have no hesitation in smashing in a window. I'd rather be done for a minor felony than watch a baby or child suffer from heat exhaustion.
    We don't have felonies in Australia but in this case I doubt very much you'd be charged. I'd make sure I was on the phone to triple zero when I did it and explain to the operator what I was doing and why!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by BerylsMum View Post
    really depends on so many things.

I would if :
    it was in a carpark
    if it was a baby
    if all windows up
    if I could not see parents after looking around
    I agree

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are so may variables to give an exact answer.

But, off the top of my head and without actually being in this position, I *think* I would wait 5 minutes to watch to see if anyone comes back and if they don't, then yes I would.
    Last edited by 3InATub; 23-05-2012 at 12:46. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunnyhugs View Post
    Just read the pp about returning the trolley - that's a great option too. I always try to make sure I park near the trolley bay but you can't always get a park RIGHT next to it. I have to admit, I stress out about someone telling me I'm being negligent by walking 4-5 spaces left or right.
    I don't even like leaving DD in the car to put a trolley back. I leave her in the trolley while taking groceries out, then walk it over with her on it, then take her out, put it back, and go back and put her in.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    depends on time and place and other factors (such as older siblings in the car too)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Petrol stations are definitely the exception.

The forecourt is monitored by shop staff quite strictly, if a car was idle for too long they would check it out I'm sure...

I've seen them do it, a car parked, filled up with gas and the owner left his toddler in there while he went to get McDonalds from the attached McDonalds, he got tied up there waiting for fries or something and the staff came out to the car, police arrived to break into the car just as the father came out with his Maccas (we're in QLD, there's no mucking around with kids in hot cars), he looked horrified, but I was really glad they were proactive about it, the police spoke to him and I'm pretty sure that was that.
    Was this in the GC?!?

Maybe that's how to get the police to come, tell them there's a kid in the car and then when they arrive say "sorry, I lied, but can you please go next door because there is a woman being attacked, cheers, thanks"

(so glad I moved away from that street!!!!!)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast