+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The worst thing about nut jobs is
    a) they usually do not know they are nutjobs
    and
    b) they think everyone else is a nutjob.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ishtyban For This Useful Post:

beebs  (23-05-2012),MoonMoon  (23-05-2012),risfaerie  (11-04-2013),shelle65  (23-05-2012),T 800  (23-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have and I would do it again. Only exception is someone paying for petrol or putting their items in a post box right next to the car.
    I dot even leave my kids in the car when I'm paying for fuel as I have witnessed a car stolen with a baby in the back

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mummato4 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (23-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    After 5 mins of watching the child and no parent in sight = Yes.

If the parent left and was back within that time = No.

The one thing that I hate and would not hesitate to call the police on is seeing children in the back of the car NOT in child safety seats I'm talking about 2 year olds just sitting in the back

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have. The little girl was asleep, but as it was a warm day I was very concerned she was unconcious. It was a car park not directly in front of a shop so I was very confident that there were no parents watching or returning soon. I called 000 and waited for them to arrive. It took 10 minutes and no parent returned in that time. I stood to the side and watched and it took another 15 mins for the father to return.

I leave my kids in the car when paying for petrol, but to leave them out of your sight and for that long is just unacceptable.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AreWeThereYet For This Useful Post:

Bennos Mummy  (23-05-2012),ShanandBoc  (23-05-2012),VicPark  (23-05-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    It would depend entirely on the situation. At a petrol station? No. In an undercover carpark in the middle of winter and the child was completely restrained and the engine was off? I'd give it a few minutes (maybe the parent had to park ages away from the trolley bay and was putting the trolley back). If they weren't back within 5 minutes (or the child looked distressed before that) then yes. In the sun? As above but I'd only give it a minute rather than 5. In hot weather? Straight away. And if there were signs of distress beforehand and it was hot and the cops still hadn't arrived I'd have no hesitation in smashing in a window. I'd rather be done for a minor felony than watch a baby or child suffer from heat exhaustion.
    Moxy summed up my thoughts really well, this is exactly what I would do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd do pretty much what Moxy said.

I leave my kids in the car while getting petrol, they're bolters so it's much safer. I also leave them in the car while using the ATM. Living in a small town you can park right in front of it.

I quite often call my Mum and get her to sit in the car with my DD's if I need to duck in to Woolies and get something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wondering does anyone know what age is deemed acceptable to leave a child in the car when running in for milk and parked right out the front of a shop for example?

School age?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovejoypeace View Post
    Just wondering does anyone know what age is deemed acceptable to leave a child in the car when running in for milk and parked right out the front of a shop for example?

School age?
    I would assume 12 as that is the legal age a child can be left alone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As someone who's Mum used to leave her in the car to go into the supermarket from about 2yrs, I can honestly say yep, I would call in most circumstances. At a petrol station would be the only exemption. IMO there is no reason to distress a kid like that - I remember once feeling so upset & worried that my Mum would never come back that I wet myself. I wish someone had called the cops on her - maybe she would've stopped leaving me there.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to becandabub For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (23-05-2012),VicPark  (23-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    This is pretty much how I feel too.

I once saw a car with a baby (maybe 12mths or a bit younger) and a toddler in it outside a supermarket. I hung around for a few minutes, and then I had to be somewhere, so I told the supermarket and they said that they would put a call out for the parents and look after the situation. It wasn't hot, the windows were down, and we live in a small village where most people don't lock their cars or houses.
    Yeah, same. It depends on the situation, I'd hang around for awhile etc, you never know - they might just be putting the trolley away, or as I do standing at the gate waving my 5year old into school - never more than 10 meters from the car, I can see them at all times and it takes about 30 seconds.

I find it interesting that some people are so vehemently against parents running in to pay at a petrol station with their kids in the car, rather than getting them out. Accidents involving cars are by far the biggest killer of children in Australia - at 39%.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (23-05-2012),T 800  (23-05-2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast