+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default swallowing tablets/capsules

Wondering what the normal age is to swallow tablets?

Our Dr seemed surprised that DD1 can't swallow tablets/capsules yet. (Which then mean't she needs 2 bottles of AB's so she can have the full 7 days)

I haven't thought about trying to teach her yet but I think I will when she feels better. Will try with mini m&m's first then normal m&m's.

Wondering if I should get her 8yr old sisters to try as well? Is that too young?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am 25 this year and still have trouble swallowing whole tablets.

As a child mum had to ask for tablets for me and liquid for my sister who is 5 years older than me, I would not touch liquid (would spit it back at mum) but would (and still do)still chew a tablet up and swallow it,

My sister is like me, swallowing whole tablets makes her gag.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GuestMember For This Useful Post:

Dannielle  (22-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think at 12 I was swallowing tablets.

I was asked when my daughter was in hospital last year if she could swallow tablets. She was 6. I said I hadn't tried, so they didn't offer them (no point in trying to convince a kid to swallow tablets right after throat surgery... lol), but given they asked, I assume some kids that age must be able to.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Dannielle  (22-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD was recently prescribed large anti-biotic capsules. She is 8, and she tried and tried to learn to swallow them without success. I ended up having to open the capsule, mix the power with tiny bit of water then have her swallow that. It was vile tasting, and took quite a bit of convincing for the first few times (the chocolate chaser helped ).

She was prescibed it by a pediatrician, who said the liquid form of the drug (a very powerful AB) was extremely bad tasting and many kids wouldn't swallow it.

At 12yrs old many children are on adult doses of medication, so it would be a good idea to teach her to be able to swallow capsules. My DD can swallow tablets if I break them in half, but can't do that with a cap obviously...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

Dannielle  (22-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is 9 and has just started swallowing mini panadols, the chemist suggested these so we can both use them and she has eventually worked it out.

I was also advised to get them to practice on tic tacs as they are a similar size, shape and slippery texture as most tablets.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to singlemumma82 For This Useful Post:

Dannielle  (22-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i crush tablets up and mix them with a tsp of jam or golden syrup If they are ones that cannot be crushed...i give them in a tsp of yogurt and my DS7 can handle it no worries.

i can swallow handfuls of tablets at a time...i used to be on 18-20 a day...so it became an essential. I am not sure when i developed this nifty habit, but i know at 16 i was able to do it (i was in hospital and on loads of tablets).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

Dannielle  (22-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, maybe 8yrs isn't too young then. It's just not something I thought about before. Will definately try and get DD1 to give it a go though when she feels better.

Quote Originally Posted by singlemumma82 View Post
    My DD is 9 and has just started swallowing mini panadols, the chemist suggested these so we can both use them and she has eventually worked it out.

I was also advised to get them to practice on tic tacs as they are a similar size, shape and slippery texture as most tablets.
    Oh tic tacs are a good idea.

So are mini panadols. I can get them for me instead of tablets or caplets anyway if no one can swallow them when they need them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by smileygirl View Post
    i crush tablets up and mix them with a tsp of jam or golden syrup If they are ones that cannot be crushed...i give them in a tsp of yogurt and my DS7 can handle it no worries.

i can swallow handfuls of tablets at a time...i used to be on 18-20 a day...so it became an essential. I am not sure when i developed this nifty habit, but i know at 16 i was able to do it (i was in hospital and on loads of tablets).
    Agh *shudder*. I don't know how you can do that. I can do 2 tiny ones at once but thats it. If it's normal size it has to be one at a time.

I didn't think of crushing or opening it up. I wonder why our Dr didn't suggest doing that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannielle View Post
    Agh *shudder*. I don't know how you can do that. I can do 2 tiny ones at once but thats it. If it's normal size it has to be one at a time.

I didn't think of crushing or opening it up. I wonder why our Dr didn't suggest doing that.
    cause lots of doctors aren't mummies lol

Some medicines you are not supposed to crush (like zyrtec) which is why i put them in yogurt.

Check the directions...

but yes, under stress is not a good thing to try and get them to do tablets whole...my plan is to gradually leave bigger bits