+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    It's a bit depressing that its sounds so un-family friendly. Shouldn't they be encouraging people into the industry regardless of what hours they can do?
    In another thread i started people mentioned being in a casual pool at a hospital or working for a temp agency, would that be possible being only fresh out of study?

Most people i have spoken to say that EN's basically do the work of an RN only difference being less pay. Uni just seems so daunting though. I'm not sure if i would cope? Essay writing is not my strong point and unfortunately that seems to be what uni is all about.
    I don't agree with the statement that EN's do the same work as RN's. I'm not a nurse but I have worked with nurses my whole career. And EN's do the grunt work. Changing beds, bedpans, showering. They are simply not allowed to do the drug administrations etc that RN's do. RN's can also now do jelcos, blood taking and EN's also can't do that.

It will be a very tough career with kids I think . Shift work is part of it. Earlies (7am start), lates (3pm till 11ish) and nights. I think you willl be able to do agency work when you finish but that isn't all fun either as you get sent wherever they need you, and you will find you get less respect from the permanent staff (also probably the c**pier jobs).

But if you want to do it, then go for it! They certainly need good people in nursing

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont think nursing is any less family friendly than any other career. I actually changed to nursing as it was MORE family friendly than my previous career choice.

Doing your RN gives you so so many more choices for jobs also. Esp community nursing etc, which is very family friendly hours. Not all nurses work in hospitals

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Super Trooper For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (03-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    I don't agree with the statement that EN's do the same work as RN's. I'm not a nurse but I have worked with nurses my whole career. And EN's do the grunt work. Changing beds, bedpans, showering. They are simply not allowed to do the drug administrations etc that RN's do. RN's can also now do jelcos, blood taking and EN's also can't do that.

I an an Endorsed enrolled nurse and I give medications, take blood, insert IV's. Basically I do the same job as an RN. But the addictive medications (eg. Morphine, fentanyl) I can't give but can co-sign for them. I am in a theater like area and I scrub and scout for procedures too.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AngelaR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I dont think nursing is any less family friendly than any other career. I actually changed to nursing as it was MORE family friendly than my previous career choice.
    I was thinking that. Even the bulk of retail jobs require you be available 24/7.

Thanks
    Reviews
    oh ok sorry. We never had EN's doing that stuff. But obviously everywhere is different.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    They recently changed the EN diploma so that it includes medicine administration and IVs.
    There is no longer EEN courses.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeymourTheBear For This Useful Post:

4underfour  (02-06-2012),HarvestMoon  (03-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, dont let essay writing.put you off! Once you get your head around the structure of an essay it really is very easy! And unis have learning skills advisors (basically free tutors) to help you

I dont understand why someone would go to the effort of doing the EN course but not the RN.. You still learn much the same stuff, and just limit yourself so much career wise, and basically get paid less to do a similar job.

So many ENs at my uni upgrading to RN, and most of them wish they had just done the RN degree straight up

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Super Trooper For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Also, dont let essay writing.put you off! Once you get your head around the structure of an essay it really is very easy! And unis have learning skills advisors (basically free tutors) to help you

I dont understand why someone would go to the effort of doing the EN course but not the RN.. You still learn much the same stuff, and just limit yourself so much career wise, and basically get paid less to do a similar job.

So many ENs at my uni upgrading to RN, and most of them wish they had just done the RN degree straight up
    Well that's certainly something to think about. How do you go about getting into UNI mature age? You have to sit the STAT test don't you? I saw something else about having to do a bridging course for the science based subjects?? It's all so unfamiliar and somewhat terrifying to me..lol.

I was thinking the EN course could just be used as a pathway to UNI as well. It will obviously knock some time off the course but would it eliminate the need for the bridging course and STAT test?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im not 100% sure, ive been at uni since high school... but yes i think stat test, and then bridging depends on what you have done in school? Bridging courses are only short (ovr the summer school) and i think they are mostly just
    'recommended' (for good reason) but not compulsory? But i may be wrong? Best approach is to go on the uni websites and send off some emails to get specific info

The EN degree i think counts as a bridging course, but you will still be at uni for 3 years if you decide to go on and do RN, you get credit for a few subjects, making first yr of uni a lighter load, but you dont get fast tracked as such.

Just depends if you want to do 2 courses or one really? Or if you think you will be happy with being an EN? Absolutely mothing wrong with being an EN, just gives you less flexibilty for the types of jobs you can apply for (ie you may end up confined to a hospital, i much prefer community work snd want to do further study etc)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Super Trooper For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can do central qlds university's "steps" program! It's free and if you pass you can get into a degree through them! It's distance as well! I just finished my first semester of it hoping to start nursing in oct this year! Subjects I did/am doing; essay writing, computers, foundation maths and science and two uni prep courses! Google it, it's a great option

16. The Following User Says Thank You to pooks For This Useful Post: