+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Enrolled Nurse

So i thinking of doing a diploma of Nursing which upon completion will mean i would be an enrolled nurse.

I'm wondering if anyone who has done the course or in an EN could offer me some insight into it all.

One of the main things i want to know is when you get into nursing do you become somewhat desensitized to the gross and gory aspects of the job (vomitt, poo, blood, etc,)?

Is nursing a family friendly career? Is it possible to work only day shifts?
    Or do they expect those fresh out of TAFE/Uni to do the undesirable night shifts?

What sort of jobs would you typicallly be doing as an EN and what is pay like?

I noticed you have to get your immunisations up to date when commencing the course and apparently it can cost up to $450? Is that really so and what exactly do you having to get immunised against?

Thanks
    Reviews
    You might not want to hear my opinion but I think there are 2 sides to nursing.

I was an EN. Loved it! partially complete my bachelor but unless you are really lucky you'll be working all shifts and its hard.

At the time I only had 2 kids (I have 4 now) and the shift work we struggled with. I was lucky and ended up with a day work clinic position and I could work around my husbands work but generally I don't think it's a very family friendly job. I know lots of people do it but for me I couldn't keep up with the shift work.

I think it depends on what you want out of a career. They all have their good and bad days.

I am now back at uni studying (not nursing) but still health related.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to another1 For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (03-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started as an en and am now an RN. I work as a surgical nurse now. I'm not sure on getting used to the gory stuff as it never bothered me in the first place but I can say that over the years, ive been nursing for almost 15, years I have become desensitized to people I used to care so much for every patient now I'm just clinical, if that makes sense ? I suppose for a variety of reasons, like patients you really like up and dying on you or just the endless ****** I whining ?!

It's not a very family friendly job shift work is a killer and in Australia the rate of pay is pretty crappy !

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mummato4 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Opps forgot to add that ens usually do the grunt work.... Bathing, bed pans etc etc .... It's not a glorious job but can be rewarding

Generally you want To make sure all your immunizations are up to date but most specifically your hep shots
    And you will need a poll check, a blue card or equivalent and a first aid cert

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mummato4 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have to agree with another1.

I'm an RN in a hospital. (was an EN) You work day and evening shifts. You can request only day or only evening but in my experience it didn't happen as it's not fair to everyone. Some wards may have permanent night staff otherwise you are do 2-4 weeks of night duty every 6-8 weeks. It also involves working most weekends. When I was full time I got a weekend off once every 2 months!
    If you want only day shifts in a hospital casual nurse bank may be good. You can choose what days you are available but you may not get much notice for a shift.
    Also with christmas/ new years/ easter it is really hard to get time off. Everywhere I've worked you either work Christmas or NYE.

It's not all bad, I don't want to put you off. With requesting particular shifts you can negotiate this with your manager and they might be reasonable about it. Some places are more family friendly than others.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub
    Last edited by Bluest Blue Box; 25-05-2012 at 08:42.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluest Blue Box For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm just about to start my diploma and the vaccinations you need to be up to date on are - hep b, mmr, whooping cough and chicken pox. You may also need to be screened for tb. All my shots were free but the tb screen was $130.
    You will need a police check, they are about $50.
    The first aid cert is included in the course (they have a special day for it).
    And you will probably have to buy some shirts for prac. Ours are $52 each and they recommend you get 3 because prac blocks are 3 weeks at a time.
    Good luck!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SeymourTheBear For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am an en at the moment. If you really are interested I would say do it.
    In my experience, you will have to work all different shifts but it does depend on your work place. Where I am now we do 12 hr shifts, 1 week of nights, 3 weeks of days. It's not too bad.
    Nursing has the potential to work well with kids but it doesn't always.
    I have been nursing 8yrs and agree with pp that you become quite clinical. Gross things never bothered me before I was nursing, except vomit, 8yrs of nursing and 4 kids later, I still can't do vomit.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BrAins For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im an RN but just in relation to shift work etc, yes you will generally have to be available for days lates and nights. However, i am currently on set shifts, 2 12hr nights a week after returning from maternity leave which we have the option to apply for. So in that aspect at this point in time for us it is family friendly.
    Like pp have said ENs do the "grunt work", not so glamourous stuff, but here in scn there are also ENs and they pretty much do everything the RNs do minus the IV drugs, for less money...if you can do an RN course, i would do that over an EN course.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Chumly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    It's a bit depressing that its sounds so un-family friendly. Shouldn't they be encouraging people into the industry regardless of what hours they can do?
    In another thread i started people mentioned being in a casual pool at a hospital or working for a temp agency, would that be possible being only fresh out of study?

Most people i have spoken to say that EN's basically do the work of an RN only difference being less pay. Uni just seems so daunting though. I'm not sure if i would cope? Essay writing is not my strong point and unfortunately that seems to be what uni is all about.

StretchmarkBarbie is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2009- Best Username Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm half way through my RN course and it's completely not family friendly. It's long hours working alternating shifts. But I love it to death and we make it work.

As for the desensitizing things I don't know. I worked in aged care for 9 years and I still struggle with the packing of pressure wounds, poo and death. Not sure if it will get easier but I'm hoping so. Blood, vomit, puss etc don't bother me and never have.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to StretchmarkBarbie For This Useful Post: