Closed Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    [QUOTE=FiveInTheBed;6579233
    people actually have a right (Mrsd) to be FREE from religion.
    [/QUOTE]

Hey - my other subject is Maths. My students would so like to be free from that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsd View Post
    Hey - my other subject is Maths. My students would so like to be free from that!
    Maths isn't usually a controversial topic among parents lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Slightly off topic, but I found it interesting that on a survey measuring religious knowledge, Atheists and Agnostics scored the highest as a group. It was in America though, not sure how it would compare to here.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/sep...urvey-20100928

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another important point, is that whether or not the person responsible "forgot" or thought your child was "left out" or whatever is no excuse. What if it were something different: ie a child that is strictly not allowed to eat say chocolate. We'll say for arguements sake that he's not allergic or intolerant, but that his parents have specified that he is not to be given chocolate for their own reasons. It would not be okay for the teacher/volunteer to "forget" or still give it to the child because everyone else had it.
    Religion is kinda like chocolate actually. Sure, a lot of people love it. They think it's important, and I'm sure most believe they're being nice by sharing it around. They can eat all the chocolate they like. I feel it does nothing important for my child, and is 99% shiite, and I honestly don't want people feeding my kids shiite when I tell them not to!

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Psylent For This Useful Post:

Ana Gram  (23-05-2012),Atropos  (23-05-2012),felicita  (23-05-2012),Gandalf  (23-05-2012),majo  (23-05-2012),Purpz  (23-05-2012),shelle65  (23-05-2012),~Marigold~  (24-05-2012)

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh wow. Surely you keep Sandra twee around for comic relief only?

What a whack job.

I personally don't see the work sheet as a big deal but that being said, I'm an agnostic who chose to send her son to a catholic school lol.

BUT the fact that you have already made it clear that you don't want your kids exposed to RE at school and is still happening IS a big deal. I would be speaking with the principal and possibly the RE teacher too - though politely of course as its entirely possible it was an innocent mistake but it still needs to be addressed IMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I think this is all a bit of an over reaction. Perhaps the religious Ed teacher was just a nuffy who either didn't know or forgot about your child being on the exclusion list? Perhaps they were distracted and got confused when your child walked in towards the end and handed your child a coloring sheet out of habit/ so they wouldn't feel left out?

The coloring sheet wasn't that bad at all. Im not religious and if my son was handed the sheet I would have said "it's a story just like rapunzel or sleeping beauty." No big
    Deal IMO.
    There is a difference between Rapunzel and Jesus. There isn't a special time set aside in the schools curriculum to study about Sleeping Beauty, kids don't get told to pray to Snow White or ask Hairy Mclary for forgiveness. Kids do know there is a huge difference between the morals in Barbar's life and the stories about Jesus healing people.

For a preacher-teacher to get confused about who's in her class and who isn't is even more of a concern - surely she has to be aware of a child who's just walked in as versus a class of kids she's just spent 1/2 preaching at?

As for the sheet not being so bad, this stuff is being presented to kids as a fact when it is not a fact. 1+1 =2 is a fact, the Christian bible is a belief only, and if FITB or any other parent wants their child indoctrinated there's a time and place for that - church on Sunday and in the family home, not in the State funded education system.

The school ignored her requested to have her child excluded and this is just as offensive IMO as handing a Jew/Muslim a ham sandwich

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (23-05-2012),Gandalf  (23-05-2012),majo  (23-05-2012),Maybelline  (23-05-2012),shelle65  (23-05-2012),Witwicky  (23-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wow totally sneaky of the teacher doing that..I would for sure go speak to the principal

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Maths is a fact - we need Maths in all aspects of life.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (23-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When do kids learn about "the big bang" ..evolution and all that wonderful stuff!!

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    As to why RE is still taught in public schools - because Christianity in particular is an intrinsic part of our culture. You don't have to believe it or practise it but kids do have the right to understand the traditions behind Easter, Christmas, Valentine's day, St Patrick's day etc.
    Traditions can be understood without the need for religious indoctrination in primary school.

it is vital that kids have a basic knowledge of the main Bible stories.
    Why? And why is it necessary for indoctrination to take place for this to happen?

* that there is a God who loves them, no matter what they do or what's done to them.
    Unless this is prefaced with *I believe*, then this has NO place in public schools where children may be mistakenly in RE classes.

I'm just presenting them with information to make an informed choice.
    I do not believe this to be true. You are not giving them an informed choice, you are educating them about YOUR religion. If you were to give them ALL the facts about religion so they can make an informed choice, you would include other religions and cultures.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (23-05-2012),beebs  (23-05-2012),Ellymoe  (23-05-2012),RobinSparkles  (23-05-2012),shelle65  (23-05-2012),Witwicky  (23-05-2012)