Closed Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I see it as a very big deal.
    If you were to go in to the school and hand out a colour in sheet on atheism or even just agnostics...it would be seen as the worst devil spawn thing.

It is just as bad on the other side.

I would make a complaint to the department of education as it seems this school cannot follow a simple request.

It is discrimination as you can bet your bottom dollar that the religious would get any sort of atheist evangelism, shut down, pronto!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ishtyban For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (23-05-2012),~Marigold~  (22-05-2012)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by angewah View Post
    Wow. How did you not lose it at her? So wrong.

I remember as a kid being kicked out of the classroom when RE was on. I'd walk through the door and I'd get booted out instantly. All I did was ask questions and want proof to back up their rantings. I'm baptized to :lol:

OP you are completely entitled to say something. Be interesting to hear the reply.
    It took everything in me to restrain from blasting her. I've never actually seen her in person since, DS didn't tell me until after she'd dropped him off back home and left.
    She texted me later that day to say that DS had left his wallet behind.. I just texted her back "keep it".
    I figure she was totally clueless as to how wrong what she did was. I regret not expressing that to her, but decided just never to contact them again. What do you say to moronic people like that? Fancy telling an innocent child they are going Hell. She has no right infecting my child with her crap.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I reckon you should go in tomorrow with your own colouring in sheets..
    atheist.gifGod brain you are here joke cartoon.jpg

5. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Ishtyban For This Useful Post:

cluckcluck  (22-05-2012),felicita  (23-05-2012),FiveInTheBed  (22-05-2012),Gandalf  (23-05-2012),inertia  (22-05-2012),majo  (22-05-2012),RobinSparkles  (23-05-2012),shelle65  (23-05-2012),Witwicky  (22-05-2012),WorkingClassMum  (22-05-2012),~Marigold~  (22-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    I agree.. It's hardly pushing it onto him.. What are you so afraid of? That your son might decide to believe something different to yourself?

***Sent from my phone***
    You know, I get that maybe the woman did this with the thought in her head, "Poor boy... he needs my help... he needs saving." But you know what? You think that, then you back the hell off. You realise that regardless of YOUR beliefs, not everyone holds those and some actually believe *shock, horror* that religion can be detrimental to a child's life. I'm one of those people. I am not just not religious, I am actually very AGAINST religious being a part of my daughter's life.

Taught as a "this is what some people believe," is fine. Small children wont' get that though, when they're in school, where their teachers teach them facts all day, when someone comes in and says, "There WAS a Jesus, there IS a God, and this is what they do..."

A small child will see that as fact. Or, there's at least the risk they will. I am not willing to risk my child being brainwashed.

If she wants to explore religion as a serious "this is actually true," way (rather than a "some people believe," way) she can do it when she's an adult and has the ability to challenge ideas. She can choose to seek it for herself, not have it thrust upon her.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (23-05-2012),MissMuppet  (22-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post
    How would you feel if someone say handed your child a coloring in page of a witch coven and declared it factual?
    I'd appreciate they believed what I do =oP
    but request they leave the religious education up to me!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Purpz For This Useful Post:

WorkingClassMum  (22-05-2012)

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    I'm not 'afraid' of anything...I'm mighty miffed that I have taken the effort to follow the correct procedure and have my kids exempt from this indoctrination lesson... but it got ignored and trampled on.

Like I said - would you think it would go down well if I stood at the door of a scripture class and handed flyers to the kids saying, "Jesus is not real, you are being forced to believe a LIE!" ?
    I'd throw it in the bin and move on. I believe I'll have more influence over my children's beliefs then a half an hour class each week at school or a lady handing out a piece of paper telling them Jesus is not real.
    Everyone grows up with different cultures and religions in their home and are taught different things at school or told other things by media and society in general. Kids will not become blind because of it and you can't shield them from everything.
    That's not to say dont speak to the teacher to find out how or why this happened, or that you should allow them to sit in the class. But it could have also been a simple mistake by the teacher not realising they had not been in the room and were a part of the class.
    I'd just simply ask the question, ask for it not to happen in the future and move on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    Regina - as far as I am aware -- once the bell goes and the kids are told it is scripture time they need to organise themselves with a little assistance from the teachers..into classes - Catholics go to the library, and the remainder are broken into groups according to what they marked. My kids with the other handful sit in a room next to/adjoining a classroom where scripture is taking place... and yes there has to be a teacher (proper school teacher) present in the room when the volunteer/s are doing their thing. The teacher in the room where the non scripture class is - 'pops her head in' every now and then on the non scripture kids...so yeh, they aren't even being properly supervised.

The structure definitely needs an overhaul!

It definitely does sound like it needs an overhaul. Have you raised the issue of the scripture classes with the principal previously, including the fact that the non-scripture kids aren't being supervised? That does seem like a failure of duty of care to me. Children shouldn't be left unsupervised with a teacher just popping their head in every now and again. It is good that a qualified teacher supervises the volunteer - but again, I would be questioning who is actually held accountable for the goings-on - the volunteer, or the regular teacher? Legally, I would suspect that the regular teacher is responsible for what happens during the scripture classes, so they should be making sure that the non-scripture kids are not participating in any way in the scripture. TBH it might also be something that the regular teacher feels uncomfortable with the situation as well.

I would still talk to the regular teacher and principal, as opposed to the volunteer, as it is their school, their paid employment, they have a duty and a responsiblity to both the children and the parents of the school, and they need to ensure that the wishes of the parents for their children to not participate in scripture classes are being met.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BMJandBaby View Post
    What do you say to moronic people like that? Fancy telling an innocent child they are going Hell. She has no right infecting my child with her crap.
    That's pretty mean actually, scaring a child like that. How was she to know whether that would give your child nightmares for example.

My DD is only 4 months old. I have a long time before I have to worry about this sort of stuff thankfully.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs E For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (22-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    Oh wow....I just read all of the comments under your photo. I kept wanting to comment lol. Wow
    yerp - good mix in FB land!

BMJand Baby -- that would be so hard ...being at the school atleast I have documented paper work to say it's not on..but I didn't really think people behaved like that with other people's children in their own home!? yikes!

Lily -- I'm trying my hardest to 'just move on' honestly I am..but this has been a drama going on all year last year with DS1..and it took a good whole term this year to get some alternative sorted out for my three (and the other kids).
    It's not 'just' just the piece of paper... It's the fact that they alienate and seperate chidlren BASED on religion.. it's not just altheism vs theism... there is a great divide between kids (and they see it, they aren't silly) - the divide is BASED on religion...no wonder people grow up with an Us vs them mentality.

If people held ther religion in such high regard - they wuldn't NEED to have their kids taught about it atschool... they'd be doing it themselves at home or in church.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BerylsMum View Post
    I reckon you should go in tomorrow with your own colouring in sheets..
    Attachment 22490Attachment 22491
    Oh so tempted..soooo sooo tempted!!!

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast