Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post
    I don't see it as such a big deal. Surely you say "that's what some people believe in, but I don't" and move on.
    I agree.. It's hardly pushing it onto him.. What are you so afraid of? That your son might decide to believe something different to yourself?

***Sent from my phone***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMJandBaby View Post
    But this N woman practically forced her beliefs on my son! To say i was livid would be an understatment.
    Wow. How did you not lose it at her? So wrong.

I remember as a kid being kicked out of the classroom when RE was on. I'd walk through the door and I'd get booted out instantly. All I did was ask questions and want proof to back up their rantings. I'm baptized to :lol:

OP you are completely entitled to say something. Be interesting to hear the reply.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would speak to the principal and also to the classroom teacher.

I'm not quite sure how RE works in a public school, but it seems from I have heard is that there is an untrained, volunteer 'teacher' teaching the scripture classes. So my question would be, who is actually accountable for what happens during these classes? Also, who is responsible AND accountable for making sure that the children whose parents do not want them in scripture classes are not participating? Also, I don't know how it works in different states, but in SA at least, children are not allowed to be left unsupervised in a class with an unqualified teacher - there must always be a qualified, registered teacher present at all times, so if a volunteer was to teach a class, the classroom teacher must also be present. So is this volunteer supervised by another teacher? If so, I would be going to the supervisor teacher and speaking to them about how you don't want your child participating in any regard, which includes not being given any papers after the class has finished.

It seems that perhaps the scripture teacher herself isn't held accountable or responsible for what is going on, so I would speak to both the principal and the regular classroom teacher, find out where the responsibilitiy and accountability lies, and make sure that it doesn't happen again. I think that perhaps it is best for the principal to deal with the issue, and hopefully the principal will speak to the RE volunteer, and inform them about the rules for children who do not have permission to participate in RE classes.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    I agree.. It's hardly pushing it onto him.. What are you so afraid of? That your son might decide to believe something different to yourself?

***Sent from my phone***

Have you not read through this thread?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Purpz  (22-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also I love your friend Kristy. No sugar coating there

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

***Sent from my phone***
    I'm not 'afraid' of anything...I'm mighty miffed that I have taken the effort to follow the correct procedure and have my kids exempt from this indoctrination lesson... but it got ignored and trampled on.

Like I said - would you think it would go down well if I stood at the door of a scripture class and handed flyers to the kids saying, "Jesus is not real, you are being forced to believe a LIE!" ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Omg what a charming fruitcake...the fb commenter that is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd be furious.

I'm actually disgusted at the blatant disregard for your wishes, which you've gone out of your way to make clear.

I'm of a Christian faith, but find religion in public schools a gross concept anyway. It's entirely inappropriate. To find that even the exemption method doesn't work is really concerning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Regina - as far as I am aware -- once the bell goes and the kids are told it is scripture time they need to organise themselves with a little assistance from the teachers..into classes - Catholics go to the library, and the remainder are broken into groups according to what they marked. My kids with the other handful sit in a room next to/adjoining a classroom where scripture is taking place... and yes there has to be a teacher (proper school teacher) present in the room when the volunteer/s are doing their thing. The teacher in the room where the non scripture class is - 'pops her head in' every now and then on the non scripture kids...so yeh, they aren't even being properly supervised.

The structure definitely needs an overhaul!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

***Sent from my phone***
    It's not a case of being afraid, but rather the parents wishes have been ignored.

FITB has made an educated researched decision to teach religion or other beliefs to her children as she sees fit. FITB has decided that the one sided biased indoctrination is not what she wants her children exposed to.

The preacher-teacher has ignored that legal reasonable request.

How would you feel if someone say handed your child a coloring in page of a witch coven and declared it factual?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (23-05-2012)

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast