Closed Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    I have no problem with my child being taught different cultures. We actively seek out ways of exploring other cultures and learning about them.

But religious education in primary school is not learning about other cultures. It is learning Christianity as fact.
    Exactly.

My children learn about different cultures and religious beliefs from an open religious studies perspective. It's imperative that they learn these things about the world around them.

However, blind indoctrination is a whole different ball game. RE at school is exactly that, and I will never allow someone to teach my children the myths which are relayed in RE classes, as fact, from the one religious perspective.

In this case, the parents wishes are being blatantly disregarded. That's not acceptable in this situation, or any other for that matter.
    Last edited by Witwicky; 22-05-2012 at 20:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Northerly, I have FIRIS on FB, they are doing loads of work in VIC, and it is interesting seeing the response they are getting so far.

I wonder if parents would be fine with me handing out pieces of paper at the end of the scripture class saying 'Jesus is not real!!' -- would they be offended?...even though it's 'just my belief'?
    ofcourse they would! ..this, to me, is exactly the same.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Ana Gram  (22-05-2012),Atropos  (23-05-2012),Busy-Bee  (22-05-2012),Gandalf  (23-05-2012),Northerly  (22-05-2012),shelle65  (23-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    I'm assuming from your gorgeous avatar that you probably don't have school age children yet.

We have just moved from Melbourne where Access Ministries have made it their mission to evanglelise as many children as possible, despite the religious beliefs of their parents. It get pretty full on
    I don't have school aged kids, no. Thanks I think she is gorgeous too

That's amazing that despite parents beliefs they will continue to push their own agenda.
    Again I didn't mean to offend anyone (sorry if I have) i do still believe that I would want DD to learn about different religions but see now that the way it is taught in some schools is not right.

Regardless of that tho if a parent has requested their child not to be involved in ANY activity their wishes should be respected.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    FITB- bit OT but just curious as to how old your LO is? Ie what age they are trying to force this rot onto?

I remember going to RE in a public primary school.. But i also remember being old enough to question (oh and i asked some corkers of questions as an 8-9ish year old! Lol) what i was being 'taught'... Just wondering what age they start teaching RE in primary schools these days? DD starts school next yr and id hate to think they were brainwashing a vulnerable 5yo!!

Back on topic - yes complain. The school shouldnt go against your very clear request that your kids are not indocterined with christian beliefs.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I so agree that what happened in the classroom today is just not on, not okay and completely disrespectful. No way should religion be flogged at public schools in any case! But my main reason for replying is to say that my husband and I had a look at the facebook link and the comments thereafter have provided extreme amounts of entertainment to us this evening with much mirth so many thanks.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime For This Useful Post:

FindMyLunch  (23-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS2 is 5 (6 in January) in Kindergarten. So is his twin sister, but she was home unwell today.
    They both go into a classroom each Tuesday for half an hour with their almost 7 yo brother (who had issues last year with scripture - the ONLY option was to sit up the back of teh class) ..and I think there are about half a dozen other kids that are in 'Non scripture' (laughable name for this allotted time really).

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh wow....I just read all of the comments under your photo. I kept wanting to comment lol. Wow

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    Oh wow....I just read all of the comments under your photo. I kept wanting to comment lol. Wow
    This pig like her pearl necklace....

11. The Following User Says Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (22-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    Me too!

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by onedayatatime View Post
    Me too!
    Me three Sandra Twee...