Closed Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post
    I don't see it as such a big deal. Surely you say "that's what some people believe in, but I don't" and move on.
    I think the big deal is that someone has decided to override the wishes of a parent.
    It's not ok.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Purpz For This Useful Post:

Ellymoe  (22-05-2012),SassyMummy  (22-05-2012),shelle65  (23-05-2012),SpecialPatrolGroup  (23-05-2012),~Marigold~  (22-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't intend to offend anyone but as pp stated what's wrong with teaching kids that this is what some people choose to believe but this family dosnt? I don't believe in christianity myself but I wouldn't have any problems with my DD learning about it. Just as I wouldn't have any problems with her learning about different cultures. My mum is a teacher and it has come to the point that schools are no longer being allowed to sing Christmas carols or do christmas activities at school anymore.
    I do think it's wrong of them to put your children back in the room when you have said you didn't want them in there.
    I would speak to the teacher and ask why your wishes are being disregarded.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ash1202 For This Useful Post:

1CrazyMoose  (23-05-2012)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I have no problem with my child being taught different cultures. We actively seek out ways of exploring other cultures and learning about them.

But religious education in primary school is not learning about other cultures. It is learning Christianity as fact.

6. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (23-05-2012),Bellaxo  (23-05-2012),Cleigh  (22-05-2012),Ellymoe  (22-05-2012),Gandalf  (23-05-2012),Maybelline  (23-05-2012),mrsdj1234  (22-05-2012),Northerly  (22-05-2012),SassyMummy  (22-05-2012),shelle65  (23-05-2012),Witwicky  (22-05-2012),~Marigold~  (22-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    ..but this isn't teaching 'this is what some people believe in'. It's blatant indoctrination.

The whole 'follow me' thing.

My kids DO get told everyone has different beleifs (christianity being one of them) and they'll hear about them when I think it is relevant or at a cultural celebration day etc...but I am opposed to them being taught this myth [as I personally see it] as truth in a school setting. Hence why I have taken the steps to have them taken out of the class.

I'd like to talk to teh volunteer to get a vibe to see if she did it intentionally or without much thought.
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 22-05-2012 at 20:29.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Ellymoe  (22-05-2012),Gandalf  (23-05-2012),shelle65  (23-05-2012),SpecialPatrolGroup  (23-05-2012),Witwicky  (22-05-2012),~Marigold~  (22-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I really feel that if you want your child to Learn about religion then you need to send them to a religious school or do it yourself.

It's not fair that your son is having this forced on him, whilst he is young it's your choice what he does and doesn't know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I see your point about it being taught as fact in a school setting. To be honest it seems strange that it is even being taught anymore in public schools anymore.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ash1202 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (23-05-2012)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash1202 View Post
    I see your point about it being taught as fact in a school setting. To be honest it seems strange that it is even being taught anymore in public schools anymore.
    I'm assuming from your gorgeous avatar that you probably don't have school age children yet.

We have just moved from Melbourne where Access Ministries have made it their mission to evanglelise as many children as possible, despite the religious beliefs of their parents. It get pretty full on

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Why is it still taught at public schools? Had there been any one trying to stop it? I am the same as pp, you want your child to learn your religion, send them to a religious school or teach them yourself

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I would be furious too.

I wrote a note to the school ages ago requesting DD not be including in RE... but so far she's said nothing about having to leave her class for some other class, but she hasn't mentioned RE either... so I'm wondering if they even do it. A letter suggested they did... but hmmm... you've got me wondering now!

Anyway, I would absolutely go and complain. Again. From memory, you've been dealing with this crap for a while, right?

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How infuriating! As for the teacher, that is just not acceptable.. sh!t for brains.

My son recently had a sleep over at a new friends place. I'd met his mother through another friend of mine-(I'll call her V,) they both attend the same church and home school their children. We are not are religious family, DS has not been baptised. But I'm more than happy to befriend those who are, each to their own, I say. V has never pushed her opinions on my my son, actually, even though I'm aware that they happen to be a very religious family, she has never even mentioned it besides references to having been to church when we chat about our weekends etc..
    Anyway, V gave this new mum (lets call her N) my number as her son had befriended my DS at V's son's birthday party.. she asked if he could come for a slumber party. I'd met her a number of times, figured if she was friend of V's that was a good indication. So we dropped DS off at their place for the party. Lovely woman, great children.
    Well..... when DS came home the next day, he had some interesting stories to tell. N had basically not left the kids alone all night. She spent the night preaching and brainwashing this group of 12 year old boys. My son was asked if he had "ever lied to mum or dad".. embarrassed, DS said yes. N told him he was going to Hell for breaking a commandment. (DS didn't even know what a commandment was.) They also had "prayer time". Sitting in a circle, each child had to say a prayer. Again, DS has never done this before and was very uncomfortable, he said "I didn't know what to say when it was my turn, mum, so I just said 'thank you Jesus for having us' and put my head down".

Now, DS has listened to V's family say grace at the dinner table before.. fine by me. If he is a guest in their home and that is what they do, DS can listen politely before sharing a meal.
    But this N woman practically forced her beliefs on my son! To say i was livid would be an understatment. I don't have her kids over and preach Atheism and would expect the same amount of respect.

Oh yeah, I'd go down to the school and whack that teacher over the head with her work page.
    Well, no, I wouldn't, though I'd love to! Would definitely set things straight, though. As if she didn't know what she was doing. Grrrrr!!
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 22-05-2012 at 20:57.