Closed Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That 'Sandra Twee' is one of the biggest things that disturbs me about Scripture classes, so often it's people like her who teach them!

Other than that the fact religion in schools goes against the Australian Constitution by marginalising kids for their beliefs and that I think religious education is the responsibility of the parents.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    to be honest - I probably present my kids with a wider variety of 'choice' when it comes to Religion compared to most Religious people.
    How many people present the story of Naoh's Ark alongside the Epic of Gilgamesh to draw a comparison I wonder?

I they are way too young and impressionable at this age IMO (they are almost 7 and 5 1/2 [x2] ) ...and as far as I am concerned have more important things to be inputting into their little brains.

I will approach it in a similar light to say, sport when they are older - if they want to partcipate..I'd like to know why, I'd like to know the pros and cons.

They certainly don't NEED a religion to be happy, safe, ethical, grounded people.. will remind them of that

(I have had a friend photoshop the paper DS2 was handed - Iwon't post here because I'll probably get in trouble...but If you wanna have a look and a bit of a laugh, LMK! )

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Ana Gram  (23-05-2012),FirstTimeMummy2012  (23-05-2012),Gandalf  (23-05-2012),Maybelline  (23-05-2012),mrsdj1234  (23-05-2012),trishalishous  (23-05-2012),Witwicky  (23-05-2012)

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wouldn't be happy if DD came home with that.

We aren't religious but we practise the belief that anyone is free to have faith. If any of my kids decide they want to be religious, I'll happily take them to youth groups or church or whatever, and help them with their belief.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think that you have every right to be annoyed. You fought to have them taken out of the scripture class because you don't feel it is necessary and they still (perhaps accidentally but maybe not) went against your wishes

When I have children, they will not be attending scripture or and RE until they are in high school or show interest in it at a younger age. We will be teaching about different cultures and religions at home, where try will be able to get a well rounded look at all different kinds, not just one pushed onto them.

I went to a Christian high school where they preached acceptance and all that cr@p but was still hated by the majority of teachers for not being a Christian myself. My partner was raised in a very Christian household. I will not be preaching that stuff to my kids at all!!

I will be telling my kids about Santa and the Easter bunny but in a fictitious story kind of way. I will tell them that some people believe in these, like some people believe in Jesus, but in our household they are just stories.

That said, if they decided to pursue a religion of their own, I would support them in any way I could. I would tell them that it's not something I personally believe in but they have every right too

I don't believe in RE in public schools and especially not in a primary school where children are waaaay too easily influenced by what adults tell them

Oh and I love the photo shopped new hand outs ;-)

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    this thread has been cleaned

thanks to those who contributed in a positive and constructive manner.

The OP received a large response to her post, due to the fact that the thread went off track, I'll leave it closed now.

Regards
    Jenny
    Last edited by Veve; 23-05-2012 at 20:58.