Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Jesus pushing at school -- not impressed!!

..by now I'm sure many know my stance on religion -- it is a VERY personal thing and I think it is super crazy that SRI still exists in public schools in this day and age.

My children have been signed onto the 'Special Religious Education Exclusion' list at school. They are taken to another classroom at Scripture time to do activities such as colouring, games etc [That in itself is another thread...but anywhooo].

It was after me meeting with the principal of the school that they now go to a seperate room, before they just sat up the back of the class.

Things have been okay for the last three or so weeks... but today DS2 came home with this...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...4&l=158a2a3622

He had returned to his 'non-scripture' class into his normal classroom, where they must have been wrapping up the lesson -- the 'teacher' {term used lightly} handed him this and suggested he colour it in.

I am furious to say the least and am trying to come up with some kind of wording to attach my own 'message' to be returned with this -- either to the volunteer in question or to the principal ...not sure yet.

It's bad enough that my children feel left out and isolated by this weekly practise in a public school..this is just adding insult to injury.

WDYT!?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely confront the teacher.

If you have specifically requested that your child not be included in religious classes, she has NO right to go against your wishes by doing this!

I don't care what religion...it's not ok!
    I'm pagan personally, but that's my business... I won't try to force it onto others!

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think it is absolutely disgraceful and I would be having words with both the principal and the organisation who sends 'teachers' to your school.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would lose my shît.

Then I would calmly but sternly speak with the teacher - in person. Letters never seem to get responded to and I think they can really lack the impact that a face-to-face discussion holds.

Argh that's terrible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    A similar incident happened at my DS's old school. The non religious kids had to sit at the back of the classroom and do their own thing while the class went on. Obviously DS was within ear shot of all the nonsense being said so he would come home and tell me all the farfetched stories they were shoving down the kids throats that day.
    I thought that was bad enough but come easter time. DS came home with a bunch of religious easter worksheets, stickers of jesus, a cross, etc..
    I was furious. As you've said its bad enought that religious education is taught in public schools but for teachers and schools to have absolutely no respect or regard for the parents who wish for their children not to be exposed to such rubbish is beyond a joke.
    I never bothered to complain. I figured it would fall on deaf ears. I just spoke to DS and reiterated the fact that the class was nothing but rubbish basically.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll have to ask what volunteer was in that room - not sure if it the same one every week.

I'll definitely be making a complaint to the principal.

I've already had people suggest 'it won't do any harm' ...'maybe they [the kids] WANT to do it'

..so annoyed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Wow, I am glad I work in the school I do.

Each stage has scripture for one hour a week for one term only.

We have catholic, anglican, Baha'i and non-scripture groups. Each group stays in their room for the whole hour until home time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not on.

I know an atheist who let her kid join one of the religious classes just because he was so bored with what they allowed him to do as a child not attending scripture (and is very vocal in his complaints!). Often they get so bored they prefer to join the religious classes. There are good reasons the church is so opposed to the ethics classes as an alternative.

My younger siblings in high school got a visit from a religious group (Auslife?) and mum got a note home for each of the 3, indicating that some personal problems had been identified. We worked out that the personal problems were how they responded to a survey asking if they believed in God - my brothers said no, my sister said she wasn't sure. Mum was furious even though she believes in God as she thinks everyone should make up their own mind and not be treated like they have issues because they aren't religious!

I'd speak directly to the scripture teacher and get her to explain why she thought it was appropriate.

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't see it as such a big deal. Surely you say "that's what some people believe in, but I don't" and move on.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Opinionated For This Useful Post:

1CrazyMoose  (23-05-2012),angeltj  (23-05-2012),Curby  (23-05-2012),Eko  (23-05-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (24-05-2012),VicPark  (22-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would write to the Principal asking he/she to explain how the school is going to ensure this doesn't happen in the future. Don't accept a lame response - ask for specific actions that will be taken.

As others have said I'd also personally confront the religious instructor and ask for an explanation.

And depending on how far you want to take things, you may want to contact Fairness in Religions in Schools (http://religionsinschool.com/) to see what other avenues of complaint/redress there may be.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Northerly For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (22-05-2012)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast