+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnab739 View Post
    I just don't know how I can go about making them get it.
    You can't make them get the vaccination, but you can ensure that they don't hold your baby unless they do. Then the choice is theirs.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (25-05-2012),Maybelline  (26-05-2012),Ulysses  (26-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    You can't make them get the vaccination, but you can ensure that they don't hold your baby unless they do. Then the choice is theirs.
    This.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post
    Has anyone here sat with a whooping cough baby..and listened to them try to breathe..cough..gasp..turn blue ?
    I have ..and all I can say is I hope no one here ever has to..
    Thankfully, no.. But I've had pertussis myself.. Last year.. It was the worst 8 weeks if my life! The WORST! I am a selective vaxxer but let me tell you.. THIS is one vaccine I most definitely recommend!!!

***Sent from my phone***

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happy2be3 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (25-05-2012),Ulysses  (26-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I haven't seen it in a baby, but I had it myself as a healthy 26 year old and I thought I was going to die, I was misdiagnosed and so received no treatment, I was eventually diagnosed at the tail end of it - within the last 3 weeks, I had it for 3 months and literally spend 9 weeks coughing so bad I threw up at the end of each spell, blood vessels were bursting in my eyes and around my eyes, I couldn't breath -it was horrifying, I really thought I was going to die. It also did something to some flap in my oesophagus from all the coughing - so that for years after if I coughed enough I would just throw up, because the flap wasn't closing properly I can only imagine what a little baby goes through if that is what a healthy 26 year old goes through. So horrible.
    I'm so glad there is a push for adults to get vaxxed, when I got WC - I didn't even realise that there were vaccinations for adults.
    Oh that sounds really bad I would just hate for my babies to be sick like that.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a question, hoping someone can help. Is the vaccine safe for people with already compromised health / immune systems? If they get the vaccine is there a chance that they will actually get very sick themself? I've read that elderly people are already at a high risk, like babies, because they often haven't had the vaccines (or if they have, not for a very long time) and because they may already have weak systems. Help, advice? Please?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Can I ask - how do you know if someone has been vaccinated? Obviously you can't tell by looking at a person...can they get some kind of proof from wherever they get it done?

That sounds a bit silly, but I will be telling FOB that neither he, nor his family will be visiting until they've had the shot...but sadly, he doesn't take anything seriously and I've got no doubt he/they would lie to me about it
    Surely they can just ask the gp for something - a signed affirmation to prove that they've had it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nicoletta View Post
    Can I ask - how do you know if someone has been vaccinated? Obviously you can't tell by looking at a person...can they get some kind of proof from wherever they get it done?

That sounds a bit silly, but I will be telling FOB that neither he, nor his family will be visiting until they've had the shot...but sadly, he doesn't take anything seriously and I've got no doubt he/they would lie to me about it
    Surely they can just ask the gp for something - a signed affirmation to prove that they've had it?
    We got a little card, an inmunisation schedule, with the name of the vax & the date, just for our own records.....you could ask him to see that?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Monkey'sMummy For This Useful Post:

nicoletta  (26-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my DD in the season of swine flu in 2009. pregnant women and babies were one of the highest risk groups and so many people had it.

I was unapologetic about keeping anyone sick away from me and asking outright about vaccinations and health. Everyone joked about me being a paranoid mother but I was happy for them to say what they wanted. I didn't get as much as a sniffle the entire pregnancy.

Before DD arrived I asked all her close relatives about their WC vaccinations, asked grandparents to get the free booster and I told everyone that unless they had been vaccinated they were not holding my DD until she was 6 weeks. I made an exception for one of my besties but enquired about their health leading up and on the day.

Now that DD has a great immune system, I'm fine. I'm not a germ freak, she goes to Kindy. It was just until I knew she was healthy and had some resistance to catching/fighting these things that I was vigilant. I figure that right now WC is a real risk. As parents, we need to do whatever we can (within reason) to protect our bubbas from that risk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Psylent View Post
    I have a question, hoping someone can help. Is the vaccine safe for people with already compromised health / immune systems? If they get the vaccine is there a chance that they will actually get very sick themself? I've read that elderly people are already at a high risk, like babies, because they often haven't had the vaccines (or if they have, not for a very long time) and because they may already have weak systems. Help, advice? Please?
    The pertussis vax from memory is an inactive (ie dead) form of the virus, which is why we need several doses and boosters. Inactive vaccines are safe for elderly folk and those with weak immune systems. Elderly people who havent had boosters and babies not old enough to be vaccinated are at a high risk from the disease itself- not the vaccine. HTH

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (26-05-2012)

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    the elderly are encouraged to get the vaccine. It is considered more dangerous for them not to get it by most practitioners. The elderly are one of the groups that it is designed to protect - it is not just for the benefits of newborns. The govt website has info about contraindications for any vaccine and most of these are misunderstood, so it's worth checking it out.

I had my whole family done, better safe than sorry.

It is about 80% effective, so reduces your chances quite substantially of getting it, which is why it is recommended.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Ulysses; 26-05-2012 at 08:25.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ulysses For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (26-05-2012)