+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    In 2009 I was advised not to have the vax while pregnant, but they gave it to me just before I was discharged from hospital
    Same!! I had to wait.

My DP and all of my In laws and my parents and siblings all got vacc before DD was born and I got mine done When she was a few days old.

My DP and his parents and my parents all got it for free but our siblings had to pay but it's only $30 (in qld). Sooooo worth it IMO

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This may sound like a silly question, but here goes - is WC a all year sort of sickness like a cold, it is mostly threatening in winter (colder months) .

Baby #3 is slowly being thought of and the thoughts of when and what months we would like it to be born in, so if WC is mostly threatening in winter i think a winter baby will be out!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Our children (including 4 week old) conrtacted whooping cough just before Christmas, you can definitely get it anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbygirl View Post
    This may sound like a silly question, but here goes - is WC a all year sort of sickness like a cold, it is mostly threatening in winter (colder months) .

Baby #3 is slowly being thought of and the thoughts of when and what months we would like it to be born in, so if WC is mostly threatening in winter i think a winter baby will be out!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 2girls1boyplus1 View Post
    Our doc recommended that all our immediate family have it when DD1 was born 2 months prem and in NICU.
    I only found out this year (DD is now 5) that FIL never got it at all :-(

He only got the immunization this year when SIL (a midwife) told him he would not be able to see her newborn until he'd had it. In the time since dd1 was born I have had 2 more babies and his own daughter had one as well and he still didn't mention that he hadn't had it.

So irresponsible. :-(
    I would be ropeable!! That's why I've taken the stance I have with my family - no booster, no cuddles with my baby. I'm not sure how heavily to police it - I trust they wouldn't want to risk bub getting sick, but I'm not sure any of them accept how high & dangerous the risks are.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to becandabub For This Useful Post:

2girls1boyplus1  (25-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://www.nps.org.au/medicines/vacc...ough_pertussis

Sorry hope that works - seems at all ages the vaccine for whooping cough is combined with other things.

It does note that its safe in preg if you are at high risk of getting whooping cough. I'd assume that since the flu can kill pregnant women the risk of contracting whooping cough while preg (ie death) outweighs possible risks from the vaccination. But again probably not routinely recommended as no sense in taking unnecessary risk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm lucky, all immediate family got done voluntarily when my DD's were born and MIL informed me the other day she had booked herself and FIL to gets theirs done and are happy to pay for it.
    I don't need a booster yet but DF is going to get one before bub comes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum gave my beautiful DD whopping cough- she got do sick do fast- she stopped breathing at home and my husband I and had to help her breathe- scariest thing ever. I know how guilty my mum felt that she made our baby sick. Just tell your parents or inlaws a friends baby almost died from cuddles with grandma ( it was literally that innocent). Please vaccinate

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Meags82 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (25-05-2012),beebs  (25-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jennibear View Post
    A friend mine asked her parents in law to get it. They did and were VERY sick from it. Flu symtoms, coughing fits etc. Not saying its gona happen to everyone who gets it but asking a older person to get this can be dangerous. Just saying

BTW, my bubs were passed around at least 50 people within the first 3 weeks of their lives and NEVER got it. Still not vaxxed and never had any problems! Again, just saying
    That's great for your babies however babies ARE dying from whooping cough in Australia- it has been described as epidemic, and whooping cough immunity is NOT transferred in breast milk- so bubs have literally no protection from it. The best protection for babies is for all adults in contact with said baby to have their vaccine/booster.
    Coughing fits are actually NOT listed as a side effect of the Pertussis vax- it could be that your friend's in-laws happened to come down with an illness around the time they got vaccinated. It also seems unlikely that they would both react to the vaccine so severely, which also leads me to think it's more likely to have been a virus or something they'd picked up. Even so, let's assume they both suffered a severe and unusual reaction to the vax- it's still better than a baby dying.
    As PP have said, have your needles or stay away from my bub please!

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Alimia  (25-05-2012),becandabub  (25-05-2012),beebs  (25-05-2012),Ellymoe  (25-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hubby is a pharmacist and he can't find a vax for it on its own.

My immediate family is already vaccinated as my brother has 4 little ones but we will be asking Dh parents and brothers. Thankfully most of our friends already have kids so most are vaccinated.

Now don't get me wrong I am pro vaccinations, quite vocal about it at that. But how does one actually go about "making" someone get vaccinated. It's a personal choice!

And the thing is they aren't completely vaccinated against it until the third injection at six months. So what, you are going to keep the baby and yourself inside your house every day for six months.

I understand how horrendous whooping cough is but it's just a tough thing to make people do.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnab739 View Post
    But how does one actually go about "making" someone get vaccinated. It's a personal choice!

And the thing is they aren't completely vaccinated against it until the third injection at six months. So what, you are going to keep the baby and yourself inside your house every day for six months.
    For me it wasn't about those people with whom my baby came into casual contact; as you say, a trip to the shops will expose them to all sorts of things. But that risk is limited; the risk when they're spending a lot of time in close contact is obviously far greater.

As for how to "make" people do it? I suppose we were lucky in that MIL and my mum and her husband travelled to see us and stayed in our house, so when I asked them to get the vax it was implied that it was a condition of their visit.

I can't make anyone do anything like that, but I can ensure that if they don't they will have limited or no contact with my baby.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast