+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't believe you can be vaccinated while pregnant but fine while breast feeding so they will be able to give to you just after bubs is born.

My nephew was born in 2006 and it was mentioned but when my niece was born in 2009 they did so it must have started in between those times.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was actually speaking abt this with a friend at work (nurse immuniser) while she gave me the flu vacc. She was a little horrified that i had had the boostrix vacc. (whooping cough, tetanus, diptheria - 3 in 1) at least twice in the past 7 years. As you can tell i'm very pro vacc. She advised me against getting it again for a good while due to the diptheria aspect. She said its not something you want to over expose yourself to as the diptheria part can cause side effects, and the more you have it the more likely it will happen. Just to clarify: she is a nurse and is very pro vacc. However not unnecessarily. So i wont be going back for a boostrix for 10yrs or so.
    Also re- receiving the boostrix while pregnant, my understanding is not while you are pregnant, either before or after, not during. The MMR is also unable to be received while preg or in the 3mths before getting preg. Flu vacc. Is safe while preg, however our immuniser isnt keen on giving it in the first trimester.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My immediate family got the shot and so did we. However some of my friends don't vaccinate and that's not something I can force onto them. One friends child actually did get whooping cough at around 4 months who we had close contact with. He was fine btw and None of us caught it thankfully. We were also exposed to it through various community activities we attend and were all fine. I kept baby close to me in the first few months until she was a bit more robust and tough lol but unfortunately you can't completely protect them from everything.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjalee View Post
    This is something I'm ashamed to say we didn't get done with DD No one mentioned it to us and it's only been since I've been posting on here I've thought "wow, I can't believe I didn't get this done "

My question is.... I'm 5 weeks pregnant with bub 2, is it too late to get vaccinated? Is it something that could be harmful to bub? I'll be asking our relatives to get it done before bub is born ... hope it's not too late for me

you can get vaccinated whilst pregnant - I did with DD 2 yrs ago.

to the OP - even my grand parents (80 and 90) got the booster shot as whooping cough is dangerous for them too.

All my family members are vaccinated.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    In 2009 I was advised not to have the vax while pregnant, but they gave it to me just before I was discharged from hospital

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Therippleeffect View Post
    I was actually speaking abt this with a friend at work (nurse immuniser) while she gave me the flu vacc. She was a little horrified that i had had the boostrix vacc. (whooping cough, tetanus, diptheria - 3 in 1) at least twice in the past 7 years. As you can tell i'm very pro vacc. She advised me against getting it again for a good while due to the diptheria aspect. She said its not something you want to over expose yourself to as the diptheria part can cause side effects, and the more you have it the more likely it will happen. Just to clarify: she is a nurse and is very pro vacc. However not unnecessarily. So i wont be going back for a boostrix for 10yrs or so.
    Also re- receiving the boostrix while pregnant, my understanding is not while you are pregnant, either before or after, not during. The MMR is also unable to be received while preg or in the 3mths before getting preg. Flu vacc. Is safe while preg, however our immuniser isnt keen on giving it in the first trimester.
    Can you only get whooping cough as part of boostrix? I thought there was a stand alone vaccine, however I could be wrong. My brother is a nurse, worked in immunisations up until about a year ago. It's good having someone in the know huh?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure abt a stand alone vaccine for whooping cough? I know i've only ever had the boostrix which is the 3 in 1.
    I think nurse immunisers are a great resource as if anyone is going to be up to date its them! She's also infection control & wound management, so she's full of good advice lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The whooping cough vaccine does come as a stand alone vaccine I'm sure. I will be insisting on both sets of grandparents getting vaxxed before number 2 arrives as my DS contracted it at 1 yr old and was very unwell he spent four days in ICU on life support it was very frightening. Both my husband and i got the vax after his birth. My son was born prem and has had some other health conditions as well but we were extremely lucky that he pulled thru.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our patents did. Wasn't something they had thought about but after having ours and were told they could have it for free, they were very happy to have it.

We too were told it was not available as a standalone vax...I have (minor) reactions to the tetanus vax and just had to ride it out after having the jab when DD was born because of it. Not happy if there is a standalone wc shot!

Sent from my HTC Liberty using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our doc recommended that all our immediate family have it when DD1 was born 2 months prem and in NICU.
    I only found out this year (DD is now 5) that FIL never got it at all :-(

He only got the immunization this year when SIL (a midwife) told him he would not be able to see her newborn until he'd had it. In the time since dd1 was born I have had 2 more babies and his own daughter had one as well and he still didn't mention that he hadn't had it.

So irresponsible. :-(