+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The WC booster has never been free in SA, but when I had mine done, it only cost about $35 from memory, so it really isn't expensive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Vaccinated people can still contract whooping cough, and can therefore still pass it on. But the risk is significantly reduced.
    I wrote a long post which bubhub ate saying the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DP & I both got ours done. It wasn't free here (Adelaide). But it wasn't expensive, our local council does them.

I wasn't going to get it, but then I read an article about a newborn dying of whooping cough & you couldn't get me getting the injection fast enough!

Note, vaxxed people can still get it, but the likeliness of contracting it is lower, apparently. That was good enough for me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    A friend mine asked her parents in law to get it. They did and were VERY sick from it. Flu symtoms, coughing fits etc. Not saying its gona happen to everyone who gets it but asking a older person to get this can be dangerous. Just saying

BTW, my bubs were passed around at least 50 people within the first 3 weeks of their lives and NEVER got it. Still not vaxxed and never had any problems! Again, just saying

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jennibear View Post
    BTW, my bubs were passed around at least 50 people within the first 3 weeks of their lives and NEVER got it. Still not vaxxed and never had any problems! Again, just saying
    That's wonderful for your kids - however if your newborn had contracted whooping cough he or she could very well have died. I'd rather have my folks & in laws ill than my baby dead. Sound inflammatory but I know some people who lost their newborn to whooping cough & they had kept their bub home apart from one school run, no passing around to 50 people for them.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to becandabub For This Useful Post:

Ali G  (22-05-2012),Alimia  (25-05-2012),Atropos  (25-05-2012),beebs  (22-05-2012),daisypetal  (25-05-2012),Maybelline  (22-05-2012),VicPark  (25-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, I made everyone get one. don't have a needle? Don't touch my baby.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eleven Eleven For This Useful Post:

Alimia  (25-05-2012),Atropos  (25-05-2012),becandabub  (22-05-2012),daisypetal  (25-05-2012),JNC_B2012  (24-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our hospital and gp have insisted immediate family members are to get the injection before bubs is born. Dh and my injection are free, family members have to pay. my in laws questioned it and we just flat out said if they don't get it done they won't be holding the baby.
    the hospital will give me my injection after she is born

Thanks
    Reviews
    The scheme where the parents and other Adults in the household get the vaccine for free is ending on 30th June because there is not enough evidence it is having any beneficial affect on the babies.

The problem I personally believe is that not enough people are having the vaccine which is why it's not having a benefit. Vaccinations are most effective when the majority of a population are vaccinated so the disease can't survive.

Now while the free vaccinations are ending you can still get it done. My hubby, myself and my mum all had it when my niece was born 3 years ago. Well before she was born. From memory they only cost about $30 and IMO are well worth it.

Whopping cough is a terrible illness for a baby to contract and just heart breaking to see.

That being said yes there are risks involved in getting the vaccination so if they have health issues that the dr would recommend against being vaccinated I wouldnt be forcing the issue.

If you have been vaccinated in the last 5 years they say you don't need another one. That being said I was vaccinated for rubella before getting pregnant and yet my blood test shows I still have equivocal immunity to it so I don't know if you have been vaccinated for whooping cough if you can guarantee immunity.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This is something I'm ashamed to say we didn't get done with DD No one mentioned it to us and it's only been since I've been posting on here I've thought "wow, I can't believe I didn't get this done "

My question is.... I'm 5 weeks pregnant with bub 2, is it too late to get vaccinated? Is it something that could be harmful to bub? I'll be asking our relatives to get it done before bub is born ... hope it's not too late for me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry I should add that DD has been vaccinated, just not us :S