+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Egg collection with out anaesthetic....???

Hi ladies
    I have a question for a friend that is going through IVF but is not a bubhubber (yet )
    Her IVF docter is talking about doing her next egg collection with out any anaesthetics. She has a bad reaction to her last few anaesthetics so they want to try and avoid another reaction. Has anyone heard of this or had an egg collection this way?
    She is not a confident person and is not exactly sure of her FS's plans. I have encouraged her to talk to her FS to find out more but I thought someone here may be able to help as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi LJ. I have always done it with anesthetic but there are a number of women under "the fertility centre springwood" thread that have written about what it's like without anesthetic because that clinic only does sedated Epu. So maybe have a look at that thread?

Apparently sedation is very common in Europe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had mine under sedation and it was fine! I definitely wouldn't have had it without ANY sort of relaxant/pain relief though if that's what they mean. I can imagine it would be very painful and mighty unpleasant

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had both - general anesthetic and sedation. I would choose sedation again without hesitation. Recovery was so much better for me. I was nervous the first time but no concerns what so ever!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your response ladies.
    I think my friend is a little confused. She thinks her doctor means no drugs at all but I wasnt sure if that was done at all (can imagine it would be scary and painful).
    Yes I have heard of the sedation before. I think my friend needs to talk to her FS.
    Thanks again and lots of baby dust to you all - you are all very brave women

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had mine with 10mg of Diazepam and 2 Panadeine. For me, that wasn't enough as I don't metabolise oral drugs very well, but it will knock most people around. I felt everything and was in a fair amount of pain. If I have to do another cycle, I will do it this way again just with extra pain relief. I also think the recovery is faster and drs are more gentle than when you're under general anaesthetic. EPU takes literally 10 minutes.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

L.j  (23-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wanted to thank everyone for their comments regarding my question and to also give an update on my friends EPU which was on Friday (incase anyone else is going thru a similar EPU)
    She actually had NO DRUGS AT ALL!! No sedation - nothing I didn't think this could be done but it was. The only medications they used was local anaesthetic. Apparently she had an exploritory procedure 2 months ago (to check for blockages/endo etc) and when they looked around they also opened or dilated her cervix a little and that made the EPU easier on Friday. She felt a little dizzy after but said her recovery was alot better than previous EPU's as she has bad reactions from the anaesthetic/sedations. All the nursing staff told her how brave she was and she said that although it was a bit painful she would do it all again the same way.
    I am keeping all my fingers and toes crossed for her. They collected 5 eggs and she hopefully has a day 5 transfer on Wednesday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have tried to make this post 3 times and my computer is not behaving!! Take 4!!
    Just wanted to let you all know about my friend who had her EPU on Friday. Just incase anyone is going thru a similar thing.
    She had no sedation or anaesthetic at all - nothing The only thing they used was local anaesthetic for inside. She said there was a bit of pain and afterwards she felt a bit dizzy but compared to her bad reactions to previous anaesthetics and sedations her recovery was alot better. Apparently she had an exploritory procedure 2 months ago to check for blockages/endo etc and while they were doing that they opened or dilated her cervix a little so that made the EPU a little easier. The nurses said she was so brave and she said that she would do it that way again if she needed.
    I am keeping all my fingers and toes crossed for her. They collected 5 eggs and hopefully she will have a day 5 ET on Wednesday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    She is very brave!! I think I would have preferred local anaesthetic over what I had. Maybe I'll ask for that this time around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngaiz View Post
    She is very brave!! I think I would have preferred local anaesthetic over what I had. Maybe I'll ask for that this time around.
    Well worth a chat with your FS - definately. My friend suffers from anxiety too so if she can do it so can you. Best of luck to you