+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How? Pros/Cons - CoSleeping

im just curious, as so many beautiful mummies on here cosleep with their beautiful bubbas, how do you go about it and do it? and what are the pros and cons of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MummyOf2Sweeties View Post
    im just curious, as so many beautiful mummies on here cosleep with their beautiful bubbas, how do you go about it and do it? and what are the pros and cons of it.
    I slept with bub a in a cot next to my bed (arms reach) until 6 months. This is because the SIDS guidelines say 6-12 months.

It helped for the first 6 weeks when bub would wake through the night
    Crying or needing feeding. Bot not so much after when bub started sleeping longer. I did enjoy looking over in the night seeing bubba sleeping peacefully.

Around 5 months I think
    It actually became detrimental (for my bub) to have bub next to me. He started waking earlier, I think he stirred whenever hubby and myself stirred.

I was never game enough to sleep bub in my bed (SIDS risks, especially considering I'm a heavy sleeper).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (22-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    there is co-sleeping (sleeping in the same room but in different bed spaces) and bed-sharing (sleeping on same bed space)

I have done both.

DD was in our room from birth till 4mths when she went to her room cos I foolishly listed to other people instead of going with what made me comfortable. I ended getting up 4-6times a night to check on her even though she was sleeping 8-10hrs straight.

from 6-14mths we co-slept cos DD was getting up 2-6 times a night and I couldnt be stuffed resettling that often. Finally at 8/9mths-14mths she used to go into her cot at 7/7.30 - wake for a feed at 11pm - when she was brought to bed with us - then feed at 4am after which she went back to her cot till she got up at 6am.

she slept in the crook of my arm above the covers in line with my boob. I used to wake up as soon as she stirred but fell asleep pretty much instantly once i saw she was ok. once she was 8/9 mths I then put her in the middle as she was big enough to poke you in the eye if she felt like it. till then she was next to me adn I had a small mattress on the floor in case she rolled off the bed (which never happened)

there were no cons for us as it worked brilliantly during her period of bad sleep. Even now if she is upset we will go into her single bed and cuddle her to sleep. in fact that is how we put DD to sleep now at 21mths. cuddle her whilst she is lying down. occ I do fall asleep next to her.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (22-05-2012),trishalishous  (23-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzys Mummy View Post
    she slept in the crook of my arm above the covers in line with my boob. I used to wake up as soon as she stirred but fell asleep pretty much instantly once i saw she was ok. once she was 8/9 mths I then put her in the middle as she was big enough to poke you in the eye if she felt like it. till then she was next to me adn I had a small mattress on the floor in case she rolled off the bed (which never happened)
    That sounds so beautiful.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Pros
    - full nights sleep from day 3.
    - my baby is sleeping in the safest place with the lowest SIDS risk.
    - never had to worry about supply issues.
    - those snuggly moments are some of my most precious memories

Cons
    - sometimes I will notice her feeding a lot I am thankful I don't have to get up to feed/resettle her though!
    - I do miss snuggling with hubby (even though he doesn't miss it, I make him hot) but I figure I've got a good 40-50 years to snuggle with human bed
    - dealing with the questions from random people!

We do it how Izzy described, baby at boob level under crook of arm. Hubby sleeps in another bed so I do move her over to the other side of the bed when I'm actually going to sleep but she makes her way back across somehow sometime during the night..

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (22-05-2012),Etienne  (22-05-2012),trishalishous  (23-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I guess I meant bed sharing not co sleepin then lol. I did the co sleepin for both mine. And we are ttc for our 3rd and I thought ild find out some stuff on other ways of doing stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD was only allowed in my bed from around 8 months. Before that I felt she was too little and once I'm asleep I'm no longer in control of my body and actions. I love the idea of cuddling her every night but the risks were too high for me. Now it's only if she's having a really bad night and I will move her back to her cot after an hour or 2. I know a lot of people haven't had any issues with it, but the statistics have to come from somewhere to make the safe sleeping guidelines, and I didn't want to be one of them. I'm not judging those who do, just saying I can't.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (22-05-2012),VicPark  (22-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    DD was only allowed in my bed from around 8 months. Before that I felt she was too little and once I'm asleep I'm no longer in control of my body and actions. I love the idea of cuddling her every night but the risks were too high for me. Now it's only if she's having a really bad night and I will move her back to her cot after an hour or 2. I know a lot of people haven't had any issues with it, but the statistics have to come from somewhere to make the safe sleeping guidelines, and I didn't want to be one of them. I'm not judging those who do, just saying I can't.
    I agree - thats why Im going to insist on bubs #2 being in our room till 6mths at least right next to me either in her cot or next to me if it ends up that way.

I would be too anxious if bub was in a different room to me.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (22-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD slept in our bed from about 2weeks old through to 8 months old. In between DP and I. I loved it.

Im normally a really deep, obnoxious sleeper, but when my babe is in bed with me i am super alert and vigilant in my sleep - must be instinct kicking in?

Biggest pros were not getting up to feed and easy resettles and the snuggling and bonding!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Super Trooper For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (22-05-2012)