+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cooking for your family when you feel awful!

How do you do it? I'm really struggling and I'm not even properly sick, just tired and nauseous, but the thought of cooking meat and vegetables makes me want to be sick!

So do you have any tips for things that are less nauseating or ways to make it easier?

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Slow cooker or one pot meals full of vegies :-) you can make bulk meals too and freeze the left overs for your more nauseating days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last night I had issues, so I threw a lasagne in the oven, and told my DH to deal with it. Ended up having it with chips and salad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I cook extra of some meals then freeze. Last week I made a lasagne so made 2 single serves in those foil trays with lids, also made a potato bake so made 2 single serves in the same foil trays, just write on the lid what it is and the date, and also have 2 of zucchini slice. Also last week I made stir fry with 2 extra single serves. That way you can pull something out. Also slow cooker meals are good, put it on when you feel ok then just serve it up at night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If smells make you sick, I'd beg to disagree with the slow cooker. Seems like a good idea at the time, but you end up smelling the food for soooo much longer, because it cooks all day.
    Personally I had good days and bad days with the nausea, so on my good days I cooked up 3-4 different things and froze them into individual meals. Then, on my bad days I could just reach into the freezer and grab something healthy for my kids, even if I didn't feel like eating. We also had a few nights of toast for dinner or quick canned or packet meals. Hopefully feeling like this won't last too long for you, and a couple of half-assed meals won't hurt anyone. It's still better than take-away, but if it comes to that, who cares?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    TBH, I'd load up with bags of those steamer veges and chuck them in hte microwave so I didn't have to do anything.

As for meat, I'd get something I can chuck in the oven rather than on a grill of pan. Less attention needed that way...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If I have an absolutely horribly sickly day, I just don't do anything and leave it up to hubby. I just cut it all up and stick it in the fridge. that way he just puts it on after work. On good days i do as much as i can within reason of course.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DP bbqs on the days when I just can't manage, which at the moment is most days because I've got a terrible cold. I did have a big cook up a few weeks ago which has made things easier, but generally DP is happy to sort food out for us because he sees I'm struggling on those days when I don't do it.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    yeh, def no on the slow cooker, i thought it would be a good idea at the height of my morning sickness to cook a big shoulder of pork. OMg 8 hours of smelling it cook EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWW

maybe things like quiches, and baking marinated meat in the oven, and get your partner to turn it over. u cant stand at a stove top while it cooks if u did it in the pan or whatever. eeep

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondEyes View Post
    yeh, def no on the slow cooker, i thought it would be a good idea at the height of my morning sickness to cook a big shoulder of pork. OMg 8 hours of smelling it cook EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWW

maybe things like quiches, and baking marinated meat in the oven, and get your partner to turn it over. u cant stand at a stove top while it cooks if u did it in the pan or whatever. eeep
    OMG, I swear i can smell the pork now. lol. but yes, quinche is a fantastic idea... i didn't think of that!!