+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I make DS laugh then squirt in medicine that he doesnt like then a light blow into his face and he swallows no problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    A nurse showed me this. Trick is to squeeze the cheeks and put the syringe in the side of the mouth. With squeezed cheeks bub cannot spit it out
    Was so cranky at a nurse for doing this! My DD's take medicine very well and we don't have to fight and we told her that but she squeezed the hell out of their cheeks and wondered why they were fighting her. Was not impressed!
    I second the dummy or trying it again in milk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by brooke88(mum2b09) View Post
    Was so cranky at a nurse for doing this! My DD's take medicine very well and we don't have to fight and we told her that but she squeezed the hell out of their cheeks and wondered why they were fighting her. Was not impressed!
    I second the dummy or trying it again in milk.
    You don't need to squeeze the cheeks hard so it shouldn't hurt at all. Your puckering her lips as if your going to kiss her basically. Hasn't bothered my bub by doing this. It's a lot easier than having to hold him down. Besides some medications don't react well with milk or juice hence why its not the best option. You should always ask your pharmacist before doing that.
    Last edited by Blessedwith3boys; 22-05-2012 at 11:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ZewZew View Post
    I have the dummy thing called a munchkin medicator and it has saved me from getting panadol etc spat back in my face. I just bought it from big w.
    Yes! This is what I was talking about!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LibranTwin View Post
    I would try it in his milk again, when he's due for a feed then put the antibiotics in say 30ml of milk, once he's finished that then top up the bottle with the rest of his milk. That way he'll get the whole dose.
    I think this is the only thing that will probably work. I just hope it doesn't turn him off his milk. But maybe then he will eat some food!

Unfortunately for this situation he doesn't use a dummy, so I can't use one of those dummy things.

Gees, you think they'd make giving antibiotics a little easier on us Mums! I think I'd even give a suppository a go rather than go through this battle three times a day

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bell & Bug View Post
    Stick your (clean) finger between his gums down the side of his mouth, then squirt the medicine to the back of his mouth. If he can't close his mouth he can't spit it out, so he has to swallow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    A nurse showed me this. Trick is to squeeze the cheeks and put the syringe in the side of the mouth. With squeezed cheeks bub cannot spit it out
    This worked for us for a while but then if they really resist they can choke/gag and end up vomiting. We had to give up on the squeezing thing in the end. What i found worked for us was putting a teeny bit on a spoon and quickly touching it to their lips. Then they licked it off their lips (so not associated with a spoon) and went 'yum yum' and looked for more.

Not sure what ABs you are using but we usually ended up with the amoxycillin one which really tastes quite nice. You can also get different flavours, we had most success with the 'fruit' flavour one

HTH and hope your DS gets better soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I slide my finger in DD's mouth at the side of her teeth and squirt the meds at the back of her throat.

or

plug the nose with your fingers and when they open up their mouth to breathe - squirt it in.

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Glad someone asked this lol I have so much trouble with my dd. iv tried all of the above but none of it has worked. I have to pin her down. But its so traumatic for both of us. Apparently she gets it from me haha. I norm wait for DP get home so he can do it, he seems to do it faster. I don't no how

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    have you tasted the medicine?
    is it all medicine or just this?
    if it is just this medicine and it tastes foul, go back to the doctor and get a different script.

when my son was 1 in hospital they gave him this awful tasting antibiotics. i forced it down him (despite wearing most of it) and for the next 7 years he refused all medicine of any kind, even panadol. i even tried to hide it in chocolate ice-cream without him knowing but he would always associate any kind of medicine taste with that initial experience.

thankfully now he has panadol capsules but there were many, many nights with very, very high temperatures that i cursed that bloody doctor!!