+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Giving Medicine

My DS is 11 months old and has been prescribed antibiotics for a bacterial infection as a result of a bad cold.

I have to give him 2.5mls 3 times per day. He absolutely hates it and resists me giving it to him. I have tried spoons, little cups and syringes. I've had to resort to wrapping him to squirt it into his mouth but now he has started spitting it out. It's really traumatic for both of us!

I have also tried filling the syringe with sugar water and letting him play with it so he gets used to it and likes it, but he just throws it.

The pharmacist said I can mix it with yoghurt or milk, but he is refusing to be spoon fed and is also fussy on his bottles so there is no guarantee that he'll get the whole does if I give it to him this way (I think he'd taste it anyway and then we'd have issues with bottles!).

Any tips on how to get him to take his medicine?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would try it in his milk again, when he's due for a feed then put the antibiotics in say 30ml of milk, once he's finished that then top up the bottle with the rest of his milk. That way he'll get the whole dose.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LibranTwin For This Useful Post:

mel6280  (22-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does he have a dummy? There now dummies that you can put medicine in and they suck it out? Do you think it's the taste or the actual forcing him cause I think maybe if you give him the dummy(if he has one) then he'd be doing it himself iykwim?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you tried squirting it in really quick then blowing in his face before he can spit it out? That worked with DS but he was a bit younger.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Stick your (clean) finger between his gums down the side of his mouth, then squirt the medicine to the back of his mouth. If he can't close his mouth he can't spit it out, so he has to swallow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes the dummy was a great tool while my little man was taking medicine, which was for quite a while. And still works if panandol or nurofen is required now.
    You hold the dummy in front of their mouth and when they open squirt a bit of the syringe into the back of their cheek where molars are or be (back of the throat makes them gag and spit). Then you put the dummy in their mouth and the sucking motion helps it go down their throat. Then take the dummy out and do it again until the syringe is empty. Start with very small amounts at a time and you'll find they'll get used to it.
    My DS now just opens his mouth and I can get most small-medium dosings in one quirt without the dummy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I found a trick for 9mo DD who HATES getting medicine from a syringe. She thinks it's fun when I hold her dummy in my mouth (I put the handle of it in my mouth) - she smiles and open her mouth because she wants to copy me and put it in her mouth. Then i sneak in the syringe! She barely flinches

I give it to her just before a bottle so the taste goes away quickly, but she actually doesn't seem to mind the taste. It's more the holding her down and sticking it in her mouth that she hates (and I hate doing it). This tactic means I don't need to hold her arms or anything like that and she doesn't get all stressed out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have the dummy thing called a munchkin medicator and it has saved me from getting panadol etc spat back in my face. I just bought it from big w.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My nephew was the same with antibiotics and constantly had tonsillitis because he wasn't taking the meds properly. Finally the doctor prescribed dissolvable antibiotics that they put in a sippy cup with a little water. Maybe ask ur doc about these if they sound suitable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    A nurse showed me this. Trick is to squeeze the cheeks and put the syringe in the side of the mouth. With squeezed cheeks bub cannot spit it out