+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 2 questions about the flu

Hey girls,

So the first question is how do you cope with the flu + kids. Ds1 brought home a nasty head and chest cold last week, I came down with it yesterday and so did ds2. So both are home from school but not bedridden. None of the housework is really getting done and the kids are entertaining themselves since I can't really play.

The second question is what is your experience with flu shots? Are they really that effective in reducing the frequency of flus (this is #6 time sick for me this year)

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using BubHub
    Last edited by pinkplease3; 22-05-2012 at 10:40.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    As PP said, there's a big difference between colds and flus. Are you sure you've had influenza six times this year? It's pretty serious.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Going by the links info I've had a cold 3 times and this will be influenza #3 for this year??

Last edited by pinkplease3; 22-05-2012 at 10:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The Flu can be quite serious and usually diagnosed by a doctor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    The other thing to bear in mind is that your asthma may have an effect on your colds. It would be pretty rare to get more than 1 dose of influenza in a year because your body builds an immunity after having it and usually there aren't 3 different strains running around a community a year. Taking probiotics will make a big difference to the length of time your recovery is taking and help you feel better. Being sick for long periods of time reduces your immune system and makes you more susceptible to colds/viruses.
    Getting your asthma controlled would also make a big difference. If your preventer isn't working effectively perhaps you need a stronger dose or need to try an alternative preventer. When my DS' asthma wasn't under control he was sick constantly and it took such a long time for him to be back in good health. Where once his asthma was considered controlled he flourished and improved significantly.
    I think you misunderstood my op I'm not actually seeking advice re my asthma. I have tried several different preventers and varying dosage levels of them, I am not on a preventer as preventers do not work for me without having to live with chronic side effects. The mildest I ever had was blurred vision and headaches.... I have been living with CA since I was a baby. For me its something that just is.

I wanted to know how other mums get through colds and flus when they themselves have it and if the flu shot is notably effective.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    How do i get through?
    My way of dealing with looking after my kids when i'm sick is to camp out on the couch and put abc2 on all day. I ignore housework (or if i'm up to it do the bare minimum) and catch up with it once i'm well. I get out my box of 'emergency toys' which is toys i keep hidden only to bring out when i need to entertain the kids with something different. I make basic quick meals and/or reheat frozen stuff.
    It really sucks, hope you feel better soon.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MothersMilk For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (22-05-2012),pinkplease3  (22-05-2012)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkplease3 View Post
    I wanted to know how other mums get through colds and flus when they themselves have it and if the flu shot is notably effective.
    I've had the flu shot once when it was offered at work. I don't think anyone in my family has ever actually had the flu, bar one time when my eldest was exceptionally sick. As PP said, it's usually diagnosed by a doctor.

We've had plenty of colds however, which we get through with Panadol, Nurofen, Butter Menthols and lots of tissues! My husband will take Cold and Flu Tablets but I only take them in severe cases because I hate the way they make me feel.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

pinkplease3  (22-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a tummy chucky bug that my DS had given to me, so overall between the 2 of us we were sick for 5-6 days and not much got done. No washing or cleaning and there were toys all over the place. I found the only thing we could do was rest, fluids up and keep warm! We both rested at the same time, so especially when he was sick and sleeping I was catching up on rest to help re-energise so I had the energy required to look after him when he was awake and cranky and chucking!!
    In general though vaporiser was always going every night, and vicks was out and DS has asthma so ventilins were both used.
    When he's sick we pull out all the stops, cos with the asthma his colds/sickies take lots longer to recover from and either myself or DH end up getting sick too! But always look after yourself, so they require more help and if you get sick it makes it so much harder to look after a sicky bub/child when you're sick yourself!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and until I got pregnant the first time a couple of years ago I was getting the flu shot through work every year. I hardly ever got colds and never got the flu. Not sure if it's a coincidence, but since not having it I've had a few colds. Good chance just using more energy and having a sick bub passing on stuff he picks up from childcare probably doesn't help either.
    I'm looking forward to getting my flu jabs back again once bub #2 is here and I'm back at work again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it is the real flu I don't think you would be able to do anything. You would be sleeping 20 hours out of the day. When I had the flu I felt like I was really going to die, felt similar to glandular fever when you can't even stand up without falling down. It sounds like a really bad cold in which the flu shot would do nothing for but it is always good to get it just incase!