+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default First ER trip

We had ours last night. I woke up to DD choking (we bedshare) she had spew coming out her nose and mouth and couldn't breathe. When I sat her up she caught her breathe but kept gulping and gasping randomly so we took her to hospital.

The nurse checks her bp and then lectures us for ten minutes about how bedsharing is bad and babies need cots. She also commented about me bf on demand when I couldn't tell her what time her next feed was "due".

We got home at 2am and since then I've been thinking of all the things I *shouldve* said to her but I was much more concerned with DD.
    And honestly if she wasn't sleeping next to me I wouldn't hve heard her choking as it was silent.

I'm sick of being judged for doing things the way I see best for DD. She is happy and healthy. I don't want to put her in a room alone to cry, I don't want to feed her on a schedule and I don't want to train her like a dog

Sorry guys just a vent!

Baby wearing, co-sleeping, booby feeding mummy to one

Thanks
    Reviews
    How scary for you

As if the ordeal wasn't awful enough without the nurse getting all judgy on you. Don't take any notice... I know I don't when my MIL bangs on about how I should be schedule-feeding. Why can't people just mind their own business?!?!?!

So glad your baby girl is ok.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AllCreatures For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (22-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Etienne View Post
    We had ours last night. I woke up to DD choking (we bedshare) she had spew coming out her nose and mouth and couldn't breathe. When I sat her up she caught her breathe but kept gulping and gasping randomly so we took her to hospital.

The nurse checks her bp and then lectures us for ten minutes about how bedsharing is bad and babies need cots. She also commented about me bf on demand when I couldn't tell her what time her next feed was "due".

We got home at 2am and since then I've been thinking of all the things I *shouldve* said to her but I was much more concerned with DD.
    And honestly if she wasn't sleeping next to me I wouldn't hve heard her choking as it was silent.

I'm sick of being judged for doing things the way I see best for DD. She is happy and healthy. I don't want to put her in a room alone to cry, I don't want to feed her on a schedule and I don't want to train her like a dog

Sorry guys just a vent!

Hi hope your little one is better this morning. I'm so sorry about this treatment you received in emergency. I work in an ED as a nurse. It makes me so sad that people don't understand and respect others parenting choices.

AP is the most natural way to raise a child and after what many ED nurses see you should be praised for the way you care for your child not chastised. Again I'm so sorry you were treated that way.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MummyBic For This Useful Post:

AllCreatures  (22-05-2012),Etienne  (22-05-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh I hope your little one is ok now? I'm sorry the nurse got all judgy on you, I have been in that position myself

7. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (22-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week

I hope your dd is much better today.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (22-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks AC and MummyBic
    She had an ok sleep (me not so much lol) around her eyes is still really red but she irritates in that area easily. She's playing on my lap now trying to get my phone as usual so she's fine

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Etienne For This Useful Post:

AllCreatures  (22-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi I'm so glad your DD is ok, how scary for you! That nurse sounds horrible! A friend of mine had a similar situation a while ago and if she hadn't been co-sleeping she wouldn't have heard her DD choking. I co-sleep with with my DD and wouldn't have it any other way! I got quite stressed for a while because people kept telling me she should be in her cot in her own room, personally I think a little baby needs their mum for comfort and apart from that I love having my baby beside me and waking up to her gorgeous smiles! I also demand feed, no way am I going to let my baby suffer cause its not 'feed time' yet when clearly she's hungry! You are doing a fantastic job, don't listen to that stupid nurse! Some people need to back off and keep their opinions to themself!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rocky11 For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (22-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. I think I'm just emotional because I felt like I was being told I put my DD at risk and I already feel like what if I didn't do the right thing when I picked her up, what if I held her wrong or made it worse. Maybe she was choking for ages before I woke? I was just vulnerable otherwise I probably wouldn't be thinking twice about one persons opinion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That really sucks! I've mostly had positive feedback from doctors and nurses in Ed. Although one told me when my ds had a stomach bug that I need to put him on lactose free formula instead of feeding him when he wanted. And he also argued with me as to wether his nappy was wet or not. He told me modern nappies don't feel wet. It was very frustrating. Then when he walked away the nurses said they'd get a different doc and rolled their eyes

Glad your lil one is better this morning. Just remember your doing what's best for you and your lil one.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mmy2b For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (22-05-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sorry to hear about your DD - it's a good thing you were co-sleeping, the outcome could have been very different if she was in a different room.

Hope she's doing better today

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (22-05-2012)