+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I was just told yesterday that they would not allow my dd who is 3 to be in the room whilst I was pushing..... I'm saying bs to that last time I checked I'm paying the bills do I'll decide who's in there !
    Besides the fact that there really is a possibility there may be no one available to watch her !!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was there for the birth of my little brother almost 20 years ago (I was young, but I remember a lot of it still!)
    One of the most amazing moments of my life - and one of the biggest factors in my decision to become a midwife

I've also attended quite a few births with small children present since I started, and they often do really well if they've been prepared properly (ie. watching video's of births, frank age-appropriate discussions, and mum doing labour vocalisations so the noises she makes in labour don't come as a big shock)

Eta: and an extra support person to care for you dd of course! Someone to leave with her if it gets too much :-)

Enjoy the birth <3
    Last edited by Gandalf; 23-05-2012 at 09:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had my daughters (7 & 5) at their brothers birth. They had a support person, they only came up to the hosp near the end, we'd watched heaps of DVDs efc and I'd explained it hurts, because your body is working so hard, kind of like when you run for ages and your muscles get tired and sore and you feel like you can't run anymore, but when you're having a baby you have to keep going! It was lovely. They desperately want to come when the twins are born but I'm anticipating less flexibility in my care this time. Which really p!sses me off

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to say I had my 5year old daughter at the birth of her brother. We made sure Mum in law was close by in case of any issues, and had the ok from nurses, doctor and midwife who had all met our daughter before hand as she came to all the appointments with me. but the labour and birth went quickly, 8 minutes in total! Our daughter loved it and as we had discussed everything in detail before the birth she knew what to expect and was very pleased. She is now very close to her little brother and they share a special bond. It was a lovely family occasion and one she talks about happily.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Aslong as there's someone in there to take her out if she wants to and for eating/toilet trips etc so your support person stays with you and isn't looking after your daughter instead ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm due next mo w #4. All 3 of mine initially wanted 2 b in the room. My son is 9, 1st daughter is gnna b 8 exactly 1wk b4 my due date & my youngest just turned 6 last week. So what I did was I looked up 3 dif youtube videos of birth for my 2 girls 2 watch-1 c section, 1 natural without meds, & 1 natural w epidural... I wanted 2 make sure they could handle it! But at the same time I didn't think it was appropriate 4 my 9yr old son 2 stare at a vagina-I had already discussed w him what would happen & that he would only b allowed 2 stand at my head & have that view After viewing the births BOTH of my girls have decided NOT 2 b in the room, but want 2 wait outside the door till their baby brother is born... I suggest doing some research, lots of explaining, & using videos so ur child can c EXACTLY what its gna b like & make a decision fr there.