+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I say yes!
    I think it would be a wonderful experience to share with her. If I ever have a 3rd child I will have my children and partner around to share the experience and see their sibling enter the world.
    You know what you may even find it to be an amazing bonding experience for your dd and baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jodier005 View Post
    You may also need to speak to whoever is delivering bub to see if they would even allow them to be there
    Don't you just love that term.. "allow"

***Sent from my phone***

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Happy2be3 For This Useful Post:

Berrie  (22-05-2012),GreenMama  (22-05-2012),HowCrazyCool  (03-12-2012),SassyMummy  (22-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I would absolutely do this.

My daughter will be welcome to attend the birth of any siblings she has in future. She would be welcome no matter her age.

I think in countries where this is commonplace, birth is not a scary issue... children are exposed to normal, natural birth all the time, and so girls don't grow up only ever seeing birth as an American woman being rushed off to hospital like it's an emergency where's she's promptly popped on a bed, legs in stirrups, screaming at her poor dorky husband for doing this to her, and demanding drugs.

I want my daughter to see how birth actually is, and how it should be. I want her to have a real life experience with birth, and hopefully that will assist her when she's older and considering motherhood herself.

I'll make sure, however, that she has her own support person... so that her needs can be attended to, and so that if something does go wrong, she can be taken away so as not to witness it.

ETA - I plan to homebirth, so I don't need to check with anybody to see if it's okay.
    AMEN! If I wasn't on my phone would have explained something along these lines as well. These days in Australia the ONLY image girls and teens see of birth is on tv... Which is hardly how birth should be

***Sent from my phone***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    Don't you just love that term.. "allow"

***Sent from my phone***
    I was thinking the same thing. My gosh the maternity system is so so wrong in this country.

ETA i would have just liked your post, but this silly phone never likes the right post! At least when i quote i can read and make sure im quoting the right person first

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No I wouldn't. My son was with me alone until minutes before I gave birth. I literally woke up in advanced Labour and had a baby an hour later. It was distracting ans worrying having him there as I was as concerned about his emotional state as anything else. I suppose if the child has their own support person that might be avoided. I wouldn't though. I saw my aunt in labour with twins when I was 7 and I remember it being pretty exciting but I never saw the business end.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was at my brother's homebirth when I was 7 and, to be honest, it was a total non-event at the time and certainly wasn't traumatic. My DDs birth was so straight forward and serene that I feel very confident about having her at any future births as long as she has support so that she doesn't need my attention. Only you know how your child would cope and how you think your birth will go based on your birthing history. At 7 you could watch birth videos together and talk to your DD about how she feels about being there. Certainly, there is a good chance that being at the birth will be great for helping her to bond and feel deeply involved in the new baby's life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Go for it. 7 is a great age, she'll be fine.
    My three year old watched her brother being born and it was amazing, for her, and for us as a family. She still remembers it two and a half years later.

She had her own support person who's job was to answer her questions, keep her entertained, put her to sleep if she needed it, take her somewhere else or ease her worries if she had them, but other than getting a bit bored a few times she was fine

We prepared for it before hand by reading books about birth and watching her birth on video so she knew what birth would sound and look like. She helped set up the birth room and pool, chose the babies first clothes and blanket, we even asked her opinion on names.

I think being so involved really helped her transition into being a big sister, we were all welcoming a new person into our family, not just bringing a baby home and presenting her with a sibling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was at the birth of my younger brother. I was 8, my older brother was 10 and my sister was 4. I remember thinking how amazing it was. I'm proud to tell people I've seen my mothers vagina, haha. The only thing I can remember that upset my was seeing mum crying in pain. My older brother cut the cord, I helped bath my new baby brother after he was weighed and my sister got first cuddles.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

Jensha  (23-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally no. I was with my aunty when she went into labor. I was 8.
    I was really excited for about an hour then once she was in pain and on all fours I got really scared. She was moaning and in obvious pain. My mum sent me outside to play with the dog. I just stood there crying. I was 8. I was really traumatised by it and after that always looked at labor as a scary painful thing.
    Even tho my family never made a fuss over it and said it was natural.

But then I suppose everyone handles it differently.

My DD refused to come to the hospital until she was sure the baby was out and I wasn't in pain anymore. She is very emotional.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow guys thanks so much for the feedback, some great (funny) stories there. I guess as long as you have a support person especially for the child then they can leave if they want to.
    Birth is such an amazing experience (if it goes to plan) and its great to see so many people have experienced their siblings arriving. I have a friend who did it and she is very close to her brother.
    Thanks so much.