+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Transition from spoon feeding to BLW

DS started solids at 4 months and i've been spoon feeding him puree, he really loves his foods. He's 6 months now and can sit better by himself so I want to try BLW. Since yesterday, I've tried carrot sticks, sweet potato and banana. They're all his favourites. He played with them, ate a bit and then got frustrated and wanted me to feed him. He screamed until i picked up the food and put in his mouth.
    Another thing, my mom told me to do BLW for 1 meal and then feed him puree for another meal so he isn't hungry but i'm afraid it may confuse him more.
    Have anyone experienced the same thing and what did you do?

Sent from my U20i using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Elijahs mom, if you read this thread, could you please tell me where you bought the knife that cut food into zic zac (crinkle?) shape? I looked in Kmart today but they don't have it.

Sent from my U20i using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did blw from the start so I had the opposite problem for a while in getting my DS to let me feed him some of the messier foods. In your case though what I would do is feed him some purée so he is not super hungry and then let him have a go with the finger food. He will get frustrated if he is really too hungry. If he is not hungry he might be more inclined to have a play, explore and eventually eat some. Then you could gradually do more finger food and less purée. I think in the beginning what I did was breastfeed first for the same reasons so he wasn't super hungry and gradually solids overtook the breastfeeding as the major source of nutrition. Hope all that drivel makes sense

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bin13 For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (21-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Try eBay - just type in crinkle
    Cutter!

With your purée/BLW question - if it were me I would stop purees altogether as yes it will confuse him!

He is still getting all his nutrients from milk so don't worry about that and I promise you he will get the hang of it pretty quickly!

By spoon feeding him we are not teaching him how to chew, just to swallow, BLW baby's learn to chew first, then swallow and by picking up their own food , regulate how much and how big of a bite they need

If you do want to spoon him something then maybe load a spoon of either porridge or yogurt and give it to him ( this is where a plastic mat and full sleeve bibs come in handy!)

Try steamed broccoli and cucumber sticks are always great and I always added a splash of flax seed or olive oil to all his veggies and steamed/roasted them with garlic or ginger for flavor!
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 21-05-2012 at 23:10.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (21-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    currently your bub only knows that you give him food and he just swallows it so it is a big shock for him to pick up food by himself, put it in his mouth, bite, chew and then swallow. There are lots of steps for BLW vs spoon feeding and babies need time to learn them.

why dont you try loading the spoons so he feeds himself. he already knows that spoons come with food and he has seen you model feeding for a while already. so load up a spoon and when he grasps it, help him reach his mouth.

conversely you coudl ditch the purees all together and do what elijah's mummy suggests. He will need 1-3wks to work out what to do. so just give him time.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (22-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the advice!

I've always breastfed before giving him solid food, I think my mom is just paranoid about him being hungry since the day he was born. I gave him a preloaded spoon before but he shove it all the way in and I freaked out. Today he had steamed broccoli for the first time, it went very well. He loved it so much and it was easier for him to hold than what I gave him before. He was confused for a few minutes, looked at me like "Why don't you feed me?". Then I put one piece in his hand and next think I knew, he finished a whole small broccoli, although I found most of it later underneath his double chin, inside his shirt, on the chair, the floor

DSC08052.JPG

Definitely a happy moment for me & him, the rest of the day was pretty exhausted as he fought sleep.

Elijahs mum, I've ordered a crinkle cutter on eBay, thanks very much!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Well done! How cute is he!!!! We need to start a BLW photo thread!
    Let us know how you go with the cutter! ( I used it for sweet potato, carrot, potato, parsnip and even rockmelon as its slippery!!!)
    Another tip if you want to try avocado is too cut it into quarters with skin on and let him go for it! The skin lets him hold it and trust me he will work out pretty quickly how to gum off the flesh

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (22-05-2012)