+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This is confusing. My dentist said not to use a fluoridated toothpaste until 5 years, which is when they can reliably spit it all out. She is passionate about fluoride but said that too much fluoride can cause white spotting on the teeth and is poisonous in higher doses

2. The Following User Says Thank You to wrena For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (22-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Jack and Jill toothpaste contains xylitol to sweeten it. It's abit controversial as to whether it's good or bad. It is a naturally occuring sweetener, but to get it out of the plant they have to process it with chemicals, then the chemicals are removed at the end of the process. So while it might have started off natural, it is actually a processed sweetener, something that we should be avoiding.
    In toothpaste, it is supposed to help fight cavities, which is also why you see it in some chewing gums. But in excess can cause diarrhea and other side effects.

Does this add to your confusion OP?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (22-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There is absolutely no need to use tooth paste before 2. Your best not too. Then use a low grade fluoride toothpaste. If you live in an area that has fluoride in the water then u don't need it in tooth paste. If you don't then you will prob find you need to give your children the fluoride supplement.

It IS important for them to have some fluoride as it strengths their teeth and helps to prevent cavities. However to much and like a pp said they can end up with white spots.

Op go with the first dentists advice. I have worked for several dentists and the advice they would give is similar.

Children DON'T need toothpaste before 2. It's not the fluoride you should be worried about its the other ingredients that cause harm to vital organs of swallowed. Colgate being one of them. That's why you should never swallow.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 1CrazyMoose For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (22-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks crazymoose! I just want to make sure im doing the right thing for my DD. Even a card i have from the SA dental association (government) says use a low flourude toothpaste from 18 months onwards. The conflicting info is ridiculous!! My mum told me that she didnt even brush any of my bros or sisters teeth when we were this little. They were told just to give them some apple which cleaned their teeth!!! We all have great teeth too haha

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    For those who asked, you can buy Jack N Jill toothpaste online here:

http://www.avidiva.com.au/

Free shipping too! I just bought two tubes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks!! Doesnt say its fluoride free on that site tho?

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The main ingredients I prefer to avoid in toothpasts are SLS plus any preservatives, which is why I prefer the more natural brands as opposed to Colgate (which is jam packed with harmful crap).

You can also make your own if you are that way inclined.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (22-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Try find Weleda for kids, DS loves it plus its fluoride free - ingredients list say:
    Glycerin, Water (aqua), Hydrated Silica (aqua), Calendula Extract (Calendula Officinalis), Algin, Fennel Oil (Foeniculum Vulgare), Spearmint Oil (Mentha Cardiaca), Esculin, Limonene.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (22-05-2012),ShanandBoc  (22-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ShanandBoc View Post
    Thanks!! Doesnt say its fluoride free on that site tho?

Not specifically stated on that website, but it does say 'no fluoride' on the Jack N Jill website.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (22-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok im going to try Jack n Jill as im freaking out about this fluoride business!!
    Thanks ladies. Am i best to get it from their website or elsewhere or are there any stockists in Adelaide does anyone know??