+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    There are possibly lots of things going in here... If you bubs has started to feed more often they may be having a growth spurt or wonder week coming. He will also be getting better and more efficient at feeding... Your supply will be settling as your body is working things out. It will take b00bs a few days to level out after a sudden increase in demand too.

Try not to panic, get as much rest as possible, keep hydrated and try some supply boosting foods. You could also try pumping to see how much milk you get. (Remember that bubs is much more efficient that a pump). I agree comp feeding could compromise supply.

The hardest thing I found about BFing is not knowing how much food bubs is getting, but try to trust your body to do what is needed.

If you still don't feel good after a few days then I would call the ABA or a lactation consultant for more help.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ilovehats For This Useful Post:

Mulva  (21-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Melzey View Post
    If you have an IDevice (iPhone iPod, iPad) check out the app "the wonder weeks" is it at all possible he might be going through change in development (they have one between 14 and 19 weeks) he might be comfort sucking and just fussing in general?

I also found Physically I can't tell when my breasts are "full" but if DS sucks too long he pukes because he gets overfull so I know they are loaded

Good luck I hope you work it out soon
    Thanks for replying, i have heard a little bit about the wonder weeks, bloody typical if it coincides with my supply 'settling'

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovehats View Post
    There are possibly lots of things going in here... If you bubs has started to feed more often they may be having a growth spurt or wonder week coming. He will also be getting better and more efficient at feeding... Your supply will be settling as your body is working things out. It will take b00bs a few days to level out after a sudden increase in demand too.

Try not to panic, get as much rest as possible, keep hydrated and try some supply boosting foods. You could also try pumping to see how much milk you get. (Remember that bubs is much more efficient that a pump). I agree comp feeding could compromise supply.

The hardest thing I found about BFing is not knowing how much food bubs is getting, but try to trust your body to do what is needed.

If you still don't feel good after a few days then I would call the ABA or a lactation consultant for more help.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply - I had always believed in trusting my body but it's hard when my poor bub is crying because he's hungry and he can only get milk for a minute and pull off still hungry.
    I read your post then grabbed a bottle of water and set up some oats on the stove lol, now for an attitude adjustment!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Aha! Just read that hormonal changes during menstruation can cause low supply, i did not know that or make the connection as i am on my period ATM.

Hopefully this will resolve in a couple of days.... Thanks everyone for the replies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by happyslapper View Post
    Aha! Just read that hormonal changes during menstruation can cause low supply, i did not know that or make the connection as i am on my period ATM.

Hopefully this will resolve in a couple of days.... Thanks everyone for the replies
    It's returned already? You poor bugger! Oh well, you have your answer now so go easy on yourself

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by happyslapper View Post

Also bear in mind that some babies fuss at the breast during or just before AF due to a slightly different taste in the milk.

Here's some info I posted on here not too long ago for another hubber regarding breastfeeding and AF:

Some women do notice a temporary drop in milk supply in the days just prior to a period and for a few days into one This is due to hormonal fluctuations. Once the period begins and hormone levels begin to return to normal, the milk supply will boost back up again.
    and

Some babies may detect a slight change in the taste of the milk just before a
    period, again, due to hormonal changes. These same babies may nurse less often or less enthusiastically during this time as a result.
    You can read more about AF and BFing at this link - Menstruation and Breastfeeding. (http://www.breastfeedingessentials.n...struation.html)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    around 3-4mths is also when prolactin levels drop significantly so you need to nurse more in order to make more milk.

if in doubt whip those boobies out!

Are you eating/drinking enough as well?