+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Losing supply?

I am demand feeding my 16 week old DS, and for the last week or so, he had been feeding every 4-5 hours. I have always had an over supply of milk, having more than enough for him in only one breast, and he is a big eater!
    EXCEPT today, he has been very unsettled/hungry and wanting boob at least every 2 hours, and he can only suck for about a minute before my boobs are both empty, and they have stayed deflated, which has never happened.
    I'm sure he is going through another growth spurt, but i have never had so little milk before and am so worried that this could be my breastfeeding coming to an end
    I guess i am just looking for some support and hopefully some reassuring stories from anyone else who had a similar experience?

BTW i totally realise i must sound a bit silly after just being like this for a day, but it's so awful hearing him crying in hunger and for the first time i don't have nearly enough for him and i don't want to supp feed as it would compromise my supply further...

Any advice or relatable experiences would be much appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I am at the same place ATM.

Let him feed more often this will help. Look at what your eating as food as a effect on your supply (oats and yeasty things help to build supply). Look at taking some supplements eg frengreek (sp?)
    up your water intake.
    Ring the ABA for more advice....
    Last edited by LoveLivesHere; 21-05-2012 at 20:37.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Mulva  (21-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Oh i just wanted add this is a normal thing to happen, Don't stress it is no way a sign that your journey is at the end.

I am feeding my 6th bub and I been through this with every one of them.
    Last edited by LoveLivesHere; 21-05-2012 at 20:56. Reason: breastfeeding and typing in the dark makes for bad typo's

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Mulva  (21-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    On top of him going through a growth spurt, your supply may just be settling down now? I can't remember exactly when, but at some point my boobs no longer felt 'full' or even sore for that matter, but it was just everything settling.

Perhaps try offering feeds more often than 4-5hrs too? All bubs are different, but I was still feeding 2-3 hourly at that age. Good luck

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

Mulva  (21-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you have an IDevice (iPhone iPod, iPad) check out the app "the wonder weeks" is it at all possible he might be going through change in development (they have one between 14 and 19 weeks) he might be comfort sucking and just fussing in general?

I also found Physically I can't tell when my breasts are "full" but if DS sucks too long he pukes because he gets overfull so I know they are loaded

Good luck I hope you work it out soon

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Melzey For This Useful Post:

Mulva  (21-05-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What are his nappies like?

A lot of what you have said can be explained by growth spurts and breasts settling, it doesn't necessarily indicate a loss of supply. These links are great:

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp...es/low-supply/

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-...3mum/lowsupply

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Mulva  (21-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for replying Loving6, that's very reassuring you have had this 'feeding lull' with each child, i'm sure i am over-reacting but its so hard not to consider the worst outcome!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mulva For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (21-05-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Also remember:

It is normal for a mother’s breasts to begin to feel less full, soft, even empty, after the first 6-12 weeks.
    Link:

My breasts feel empty! Has my milk supply decreased?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Mulva  (21-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post
    On top of him going through a growth spurt, your supply may just be settling down now? I can't remember exactly when, but at some point my boobs no longer felt 'full' or even sore for that matter, but it was just everything settling.

Perhaps try offering feeds more often than 4-5hrs too? All bubs are different, but I was still feeding 2-3 hourly at that age. Good luck

When he gets cranky the first thing i have always done is offer boob, its so satisfying when he has a big feed
    Thanks for the reply, i'm hoping that settling is what's going on in there!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    What are his nappies like?

A lot of what you have said can be explained by growth spurts and breasts settling, it doesn't necessarily indicate a loss of supply. These links are great:

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp...es/low-supply/

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-info/common-concerns–mum/lowsupply
    Thanks very much for the links! His nappies have been fairly dry today as he hasn't had enough and been hungry all day.