+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Stupid Car... anyone know what this might be?

Anyone know anything about cars?

Mine is being a complete jerk. Basically, it likes to decide that it just doesn't work anymore and will shut down.

It happened today... it starts to shake and shudder and then all of a sudden it just slowly down (like accelerator doesn't work anymore - I can push it to the floor and nothing)... and then all the lights pop up saying every bloody thing is wrong (like the check oil light and every other light there in on the dash)... and so then I'll turn it off, and can USUALLY start it up again in and it's fine.

Sometimes it'll take a few tries to turn it on... but only about 2-3 tries.

It first happened when I didn't let the engine warm up... so I blamed it on that... but now it just happens randomly. Sometimes I'll have been driving for 20 mins and it decides to be a ****. Other times, I'm only 2-3 mins into a trip and it goes mental.

Any ideas? Or any ideas how much this is going to cost?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'll ask my brother for you, he's a mechanic :-)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleven Eleven For This Useful Post:

SassyMummy  (21-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How long is it since the car has been serviced and how old is the car? mine used to do that when the spark plugs needed changing but it was an old car ,can be caused by a blocked fuel filter too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My old 1988 Nissan Pulsar used to do this a few years back. It needed a new computer. Luckily they weren't too expensive. It's been running fine since then. I have a new car now, but the pulsar is still being used as an extra car by my father and will eventually be given to my sister when she finally gets her license.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    My old 1988 Nissan Pulsar used to do this a few years back. It needed a new computer. Luckily they weren't too expensive. It's been running fine since then. I have a new car now, but the pulsar is still being used as an extra car by my father and will eventually be given to my sister when she finally gets her license.
    a friends nissan used to do the same ,we used to kick it to work lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you checked the battery leads for looseness and the terminals for corrosion lately?
    It could be as simple as a loose battery lead, that'd be the first thing I'd be checking because it happens so so often and it's easily fixed.
    But if the terminals are covered in corrosion, turn the car totally off, disconnect the leads and hold them well out the way, and pour boiling hot water straight out of the kettle over the terminals to melt away the corrosion. Dry the terminals and hook the battery back up. My old VL used to do this about once every 3-4 months until I cleaned the terminals.
    It's also quite possible it's the alternator, that's what my VP used to do before I replaced the alternator. All the lights would come on and it'd die. It's not a huge problem though, less than $250 for sure.

Though, as others said, it could be spark plugs, or it could be the fuel filter or fuel pump. If you have a friend who knows how to test spark plugs ask them to come over and test them for you. I'd write it out, but it's pretty easy to zap yourself unless you have somebody there actually showing you how to do it.
    When it comes to cars not starting it's either two things, fuel or spark (or alternator/battery, but that comes under 'spark'). Though it's the sort of issue that a mechanic can easily sort out because there's only a few things it can be, and it's rarely anything major

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing. This happens occasionally to my mum's car too.
    I don't know if it's related, but one day when the car decided to go on strike in the middle of a roundabout while I was driving it (thankfully momentum and gentle slope helped us continue), about 15 minutes prior when we were briefly stopped the engine had raced for no reason.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine did this a few weeks ago and it turns out the alternator was stuffed. I had to get it towed from work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a similar problem a few months ago. It needed 2 sensors replaced.
    Goodluck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's the spark plugs or fuel injectors - mine used to do it a lot!