+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Chipped tooth and discolouration - can anyone help?

My DD fell off the couch on Saturday and there was a bit of blood and she had a cut lip and her lip swelled, i thought it was fine.

The swelling went down slightly and i noticed her left front tooth had a tiny little chip out of the corner but the tooth wasnt loose at all.

I took her to the dentist today and her gum in between her teeth has sustained a slight injury and she has definitely chipped her tooth (fracture) but its barely noticeable. The dentist smoothed it out so it wasnt sharp and said the tooth has loosened slightly but the muscle will re tighten.

She did say there is a chance the tooth will discolour. She said sometimes it happens with a few days / weeks, sometimes months or can even take years, or may not happen at all

I know its not the end of the world but she has such a beautiful smile....can anyone put my mind at ease....., the dentist didnt seemed worried about her injury and other than a fat lip and tiny weeny chip offf the corner you cant even tell

Has anyones LO sustained a similar or worse tooth injury and it not discoloured?

Help!!

ETA - DD is eating fine too
    Last edited by ShanandBoc; 21-05-2012 at 13:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD chipped her tooth at daycare 2 years ago, she lost about 1/8 of one of her top front tooth it hasn't discoloured thank goodness! The dentist said it was a 50/50 chance and we just had to wait and see. I didn't like those odds and was freaking out about it, but it's all good.

As she's gotten older it's not as noticeable, or maybe I've just gotten used to it, I cried I first saw it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I broke my front tooth in Yr 5 (some 28yrs ago) and it has never discoloured despite being told to expect it would.

DS at 4 bumped his teeth and it did go grey and then changed back to white. The dentist said that can happen too which freaked us out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DD2 fell face first onto our polished tiles, hit her tooth on the tiles, teeth through lip, blood everywhere. It was horrible and by some miracle her tooth didn't break or chip. The gum swelled up and looked quite dark for a few days after, and the tooth did feel a bit loose, but 6 or more months on and the tooth isn't loose and there is no discolouration to the tooth.

I had a black tooth when I was little. I don't know how I got it, would have been some sort of trauma.

Good thing about it being milk teeth is that if it does discolour, it will come out eventually

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter fell knocked her tooth, no chips but a few months later it started to discolour and go grey. The dentist told me that the only option was to put a coating of the stuff they use for fillings over the tooth if it really bothered me. So if it does discolor maybe thats an option.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks ladies i guess we will have to wait and see......im trying not to stress about it too much. DH on the other hand is really upset. He is mega protective of his little girl

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub