Closed Thread
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I wouldn't trust 60 minutes to present something in a fair and even manner. I didn't see the segment (don't get reception)

With saying inappropriate things, I've held a friends hand through a termination and she cracked the worst jokes throughout the process. Not because she's a bad person. But just to cope with the situation.

I'm pro choice. I don't like it. But also how can - for example - passionately defend my right to have a VBAC, when some people would believe that the risks are too high, that I shouldn't be allowed to choose the option that's safest for me if it means putting my baby at risk (teeny tiny risk)

I would suspect - without seeing the segment - that the choice may have been to reduce the risk of miscarriage, complications with birth, very low birth rate, preterm labour etc etc associated with triplets. A risk some people - I know I would - take.

But who are we to decide what's right and what risks someone is prepared to take, within their own body.
    Last edited by Boobycino; 21-05-2012 at 08:26.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (21-05-2012),Guest654  (21-05-2012),sweetseven  (21-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brooke88(mum2b09) View Post
    I'm not for this procedure but to the women saying "just adopt them out" are you aware of the risks and complications of a multiple pregnancy? And have you been through one yourself?
    I spent ELEVEN weeks in hospital from my twin pregnancy, having been flown to a hospital 4 hours from home where I stayed. I went into PTL 3 times before delivering early and everyday was worrying and stressful, to say the least.
    Then the SCN or NICU battle where you aren't even allowed to hold your babies because they're on CPAP.
    I had to leave my job, my car was going to be repossessed (mum took care of that) and I slowly got depression.
    Why go through all that just to adopt them out?

And just so you know I'd do it all again but I can very well understand why someone would opt out of it.
    I dont know if this was aimed at me, but I did mention adoption in my post so I will answer.
    I have never been pregnant with multiples. I do understand there are increased risks for mum and bubs, but I guess thats not something I could fully comprehend unless I went through it. But I do know that I could never birth my baby and give it away.

I for one wasnt trying to say this is what women in this situation SHOULD do. I was just highlighting the fact that I couldnt comprehend choosing one child out of my three to keep, before or after their birth. I couldnt choose which baby would be "worthy" to keep and bring to term, the same as I wouldnt be able to make the decision about which child to keep and which ones to adopt out.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Being pro-choice doesn't mean that it doesn't make you uncomfortable, or upset, or confronting. Nobody likes abortion, just some people believe that the woman should always be able to choose, no matter what the circumstances, without putting your own morals before someone else's.
    You are right. Thank you for helping me to understand how I was feeling

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MamaC For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (21-05-2012),Purpz  (21-05-2012)

Guest Guest
    I have 2 children and we sometimes talk about having a 3rd but financially would be a big strain. If I fell pregnant and found out it's triplets or more do I not have the right to consider all the negatives? (and there are negatives) fitting in with a lifestyle isn't selfish, it's reality, we live in a world ruled by money and having alot of children costs money. I'd definitely consider that, I wouldn't be able to work, we'd need a bigger house, car, our whole way of life would change. Then to consider the health of carrying 3 babies, theirs and mine and what it would mean to my other children and husband. What if they didn't survive? What if they were born with disabilities? How would we cope with that? I'm human, not superwoman. Just because women want children, they can only want 1-2 because the reality is having many children if you're not prepared is a big call, and it's not fair to say then don't have any if you won't accept all that. Someone having ivf to have 1 child is no different to me ttc naturally with the want and expectation of 1.
    It's easy to say they're disgusting and to point fingers, but you're not the one living this persons life, you won't be there through all the struggles they would face.
    So it is their choice whether you like it or not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    What a strange thread.

Normally BH is MOSTLY pro-choice... but as soon as you talk about multiples, a large number of people are pro-life. Why?

What YOUR personal beliefs on abortion are have nothing to do with what another woman feels. What YOU would be happy to have (multiples) another woman may not be happy to have (like me... I don't ever want multiples and would be upset if I fell pregnant with more than 1 at a time). Just because YOU have difficulty falling pregnant doesn't mean that everyone who ever falls pregnant should be overjoyed... after all, them keeping their pregnancy doesn't really change the fact that you're having trouble.

I agree with a PP who said you can't be pro-choice and then declare that this is wrong. You don't have to go, "OMG, this is an awesome idea!" but you just go, "I'm not personally comfortable with it, but I believe every woman should have hte right to choose for herself." That's all. I don't think I could ever look at a pic of my foetuses and pick and choose which one I'll actually give birth to (unless there was serious health issues with one or more of them)... but I don't think that means that any woman who COULD do that is a horrible monster, a horrible parent and should be shot... like it seems so many in here believe.

I'm more sickened by the attitudes in here than by selective termination.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

beebs  (21-05-2012),brooke88(mum2b09)  (21-05-2012),Buttoneska  (21-05-2012),Gandalf  (21-05-2012),katzdreams  (21-05-2012),RobinSparkles  (21-05-2012),Rutabaga  (21-05-2012),Witwicky  (21-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    The women in this story who terminated their babies for lifestyle reasons are horrid people. And to everyone who says you shouldn't Judge I disagree. If ever there is a right time to Judge someone it's a woman who kills her healthy unborn child where the pregnancy would not have been a risk to herself.

[text deleted by moderator]
    Last edited by BH-KatiesMum; 21-05-2012 at 14:48. Reason: unnecessary

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (21-05-2012),peanuthead  (21-05-2012),squirrelex  (21-05-2012),trishalishous  (21-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peanuthead View Post
    I dont know if this was aimed at me, but I did mention adoption in my post so I will answer.
    I have never been pregnant with multiples. I do understand there are increased risks for mum and bubs, but I guess thats not something I could fully comprehend unless I went through it. But I do know that I could never birth my baby and give it away.

I for one wasnt trying to say this is what women in this situation SHOULD do. I was just highlighting the fact that I couldnt comprehend choosing one child out of my three to keep, before or after their birth. I couldnt choose which baby would be "worthy" to keep and bring to term, the same as I wouldnt be able to make the decision about which child to keep and which ones to adopt out.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub
    It was a general comment to those saying adopt.
    You don't have to justify why you wouldn't do it.
    As I said in my PP I'm not for this procedure but I wouldn't judge those who have done it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    I have 2 children and we sometimes talk about having a 3rd but financially would be a big strain. If I fell pregnant and found out it's triplets or more do I not have the right to consider all the negatives? (and there are negatives) fitting in with a lifestyle isn't selfish, it's reality, we live in a world ruled by money and having alot of children costs money. I'd definitely consider that, I wouldn't be able to work, we'd need a bigger house, car, our whole way of life would change. Then to consider the health of carrying 3 babies, theirs and mine and what it would mean to my other children and husband. What if they didn't survive? What if they were born with disabilities? How would we cope with that? I'm human, not superwoman. Just because women want children, they can only want 1-2 because the reality is having many children if you're not prepared is a big call, and it's not fair to say then don't have any if you won't accept all that. Someone having ivf to have 1 child is no different to me ttc naturally with the want and expectation of 1.
    It's easy to say they're disgusting and to point fingers, but you're not the one living this persons life, you won't be there through all the struggles they would face.
    So it is their choice whether you like it or not.
    No you shouldn't have the choice to kill one or more of your babies for lifestyle reasons. If you can't handle the possibilities don't try for a third baby. It maybe your choice at the moment, but IMO it shouldnt be... Abortion fir anything other than specific dire medical issues should be illegal.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (21-05-2012),squirrelex  (21-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    The women in this story who terminated their babies for lifestyle reasons are horrid people. And to everyone who says you shouldn't Judge I disagree. If ever there is a right time to Judge someone it's a woman who kills her healthy unborn child where the pregnancy would not have been a risk to herself.

To people saying the story was biased. It presented a side of the issue, and yes graphic footage of an abortion being performed. If you can't hack watching footage of an abortion taking place then you have no place waving the pro life placard.

And why does there need to be a warning on the post? Surely people know from the title/first few posts what the threads about. Harden up folks!
    People terminate healthy pregnancies all the time because it wouldn't suit their lifestyle. Does that make them horrid people??
    And it's funny considering YOU are always going on about judgement on Bubhub. Do you understand the meaning of hypocritical?
    Last edited by brooke88(mum2b09); 21-05-2012 at 09:19.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brooke88(mum2b09) For This Useful Post:

beebs  (21-05-2012),Gandalf  (21-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I'd also like to point out that there could be women on this very forum who've been faced with this decision. I'm sure they're all very happy to be treated like hateful monsters with no morals.

Well done guys.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (21-05-2012),Gandalf  (21-05-2012),onionskin  (21-05-2012),RobinSparkles  (21-05-2012),Rutabaga  (21-05-2012)