+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 10 months, three weeks... still not really eating solids

Hi all,

I have had fantastic help on this forum and hoping you can assist in the department of solids.

My boy is now 10 months and three weeks. We started [read: attempted to start] feeding him solids from around four and a half months.

During the first few months he didn't really take to eating much, and (as another member has mentioned) just sat in his chair with a spoonful of food in his mouth. He'd sit easily for 20 mins or so, with his mouth open and the food sitting on his tongue. Quite funny really, until the point where he'd close his mouth or tip his head forward and the entire contents including a heap of saliva would just pour out. This would go on over an hour if we had the patience.

Eventually around 7-8 months he began eating the homemade (annabel karmel) foods and rice cereal we gave him quite happily, however this only lasted a few months, and he generally wouldnt eat much, generally one to two tablespoons and perhaps some apple or pear after.

However since around 9 months hes reverted back to not eating. He did suffer from gastro about four weeks back which hasnt helped but now we are struggling to get two teaspoons of cereal in at breakfast, and lunch and dinner sees him play with a few finger food items but never really put any in his mouth. We give him carrot sticks, broccoli, poached chicken, pumpkin etc and he shows very little interest.

We are trying not to stress too much until he's one, but given hes not been a great eater at any point, we are concerned this may not improve until well past then.

Anyways, I guess Im not sure what questions to ask if any, but would appreciate if anyone has had experience with this sort of scenario and if there are any steps we can take to help him become a better eater?

Thanks!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Have you tried baby led weaning?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    How much bm/formula is he still having and maybe start offering food before a milk feed? Also have you tried sitting him on your lap when you eat- most babies love trying to pinch food off your plate ( as long as its child friendly!)
    BLW is a great idea as long as you can try get him to try it! Eating the same food as you and eating together as a family is usually a good start

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS had a mild tummy big at 6 1/2 months and from then he wouldn't go near pureed food.
    I agree with pp that you should try baby led weaning. And I second spring him on your lap and letting him eat off your plate. DS still does this sometimes and he's 13 months.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all for the swift replies!

I thought we were BLW with offering him carrot sticks, broccoli stalks and chicken bits etc? Is my idea of BLW not correct or complete?

I agree putting him on my lap is a good idea, I guess Im just afraid of sooo much mess that could happen.

Am I acting too precious ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Unfortunately the mess will only get worse!!! in the beginning we put plastic mats under the table/highchair and my DS wore long sleeve bibs! At 18 months now very little gets dropped and his spoon /fork skills are great!
    Yes BLW in theory is letting them feed themselves , finger foods or loaded spoons, no purees and very messy as they learn! It will take a month or two for them to "get it" so don't be disheartened if it does not happen straight away

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Big Jilm  (20-05-2012)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    My DD took a long time to 'get' eating but the things that she really liked were cruskits (they disolve in the baby's mouth), strawberries (and yes I paid $$$ for a punnet but it was worth it if it meant she ate) and raviloli.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Big Jilm  (20-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Elijahs Mum...I was afraid you'd say that (re: the mess)!

To answer your previous post question, hes been offered around 850ml but since his gastro we've upped it to around 1050ml per day (he could probably have more!).

When he was on 850ml per day, he'd often not finish all bottles so now he's hungrier but still not getting into his food as much as I'd like.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is great he is still drinking a lot , food before 1 is just for fun - but- I would offer food before bottle at lunch to start as he needs to start getting used to eating more and learning to chew and swallow, don't be afraid to add flavor and give him your food , does he eat yogurt?
    Cucumber sticks with yogurt or dips ( avocado/tzatiki/hummus) are a great starting food

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would offer a heap of finger food, stuff you eat and textures and flavored. Just let him sit and play or explore food. Don't stress too much but that does sound like a lot of milk he's drinking. But he's still only 10 months. I would try the morning bottle in a sipper cup on the high chair with the food. Just the morning one. Good luck.