+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Pregnancy after stroke

Hi everyone, I could not locate much information through google when I was looking for a friend. She had a stroke in her late teens and suffers from asphasia as a result. There are obviously risk factors involved if she falls pregnant but wants a baby more than anything else in this world. I wa wondering if there is anyone on HB that has had a stroke in the past and has successfully carried a baby full term. What are the risks involved, how did treatment differ while pregnant and how was your condition monitored? I have suggested to her that she may wish to speak to her neurosurgeon and seek an experienced Ob/Gyn to ask however I am keen to help her make a decision - there is not a great deal of information out there. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ezzabee

My Mum had a stroke whilst she was pregnant with me (27 years ago) She was incredibly unlucky & quite an exceptional case! I don't know how on earth she managed to get through a pregnancy whilst learning to walk, talk, read, write, use her hands etc, all over again! However I turned out a full term & healthy baby. The doctors said that the additional blood going to her uterus for me may have saved her life as there was less blood in her brain to clot & cause damage!

Did your friend have a blood clot or brain bleed? There is a difference in the severity of both & the chances of a repeat stroke depending on what she had.

I'm sorry I don't have any information for you, but I can tell you that despite what my Mum went through, no doctors told her she was at increased risk for another stroke or pregnancy complications if she wanted to have another baby. She didn't have one because she was too nervous.

I'm hoping your friend gets the answers she needs from her neurologist & gets to have a healthy baby someday

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much, I'm not sure if she had a clot or bleed. I will try and fine out. Thanks so much for sharing your mums story, I hope it will bring my friend hope your mum sounds like an incredibly strong woman and you should be very proud!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know of a patient who also had a stroke while pregnant. That was a very complicated rehabilitation program. Blonde assassin is correct that the cause of the stroke (clot or a bleed) would make a difference to the risk factors. Your friend should seek guidance from a doctor in preparation for conceiving.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Apparently it was a bleed.. Yes she intends to do so, jut wondering if anyone has shared a similiar experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I imagine it would be complicated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi I had a stroke 5 years ago at 35. Mine was caused from a clot.I was lucky & regained feeling & use of my limbs early. I have gone on to have 2 bubs. Both straight forward pregnancies & short natural births. No complications. The only thing I had to do was take aspirin every other day through my pregnancies. I wish your friend all the luck & hope she has her precious baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks pumpkinears. Im so glad for you x

Thanks
    Reviews
    So I have clarified and apparently it was a bleed and not a clot.