+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Breastfeeding and Dieting.....need some 'how to' tips!

Hi Ladies,

I am overweight and really would like to shed these pesky kilos. I am 89kgs and ideally would like to get to 69kgs but would at least like to shift 9 kgs in the short term.

Oh and I am 5'ft 3'' (160cm) so reaaaaaally need to lose the weight!

DD is 6 months and I am concerned that any reduction in my food intake may affect my supply. She is demand fed so bascially she is on the boob about every two hours. She is happy to be there and I am happy to keep going so I really dont want to do anything that could reduce my supply.

So....how do I go about losing weight while continuing to successfully breastfeed?

My problem is I get hungry and need to eat! I also have 2 other kids and a home business to really need something thats quick to prepare and healthy.

Do you have any tips to help me lose weight?

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do weight watchers online it's breast feeding friendly and it's not about buying special food but sticking to an allowance everyday. There is also online tools that you can download to keep track on your phone!

I also looked at a site called losethebabyweight.com.au but I didn't want to spend the money on shakes just wanted to eat better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Jess! I have done Weight Watchers before....guess I was hoping to avoid paying for it again

So how much weight did you lose on a weekly basis and did you see any changes in your supply?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The recommended weight loss when BFing is about 1kg a month from memory. Not much really. I always found it hard to be sure I was losing weight til I'd lost at least 2kg, otherwise my weight fluctuates too much from day to day to be sure I'm actually losing weight.

If you are eating any 'bad' food you could try & just cut that out - eg. chocolate, chips, junk food, etc, etc. I'd start by increasing your exercise by walking 30 minutes a day.

I'm hoping to lose weight too and as my dd increases her intake of solids I need to watch my food intake more closely to prevent weight gain - that's a good starting point for me cause last time I put on quite a bit of weight between when my ds was 6 months old and 12 months old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Michelle. I'm in the same boat - need to lose a total of 13kg but my first goal is 6kgs. I have always been self-conscious about my supply and want to continue bf for as long as possible so don't want to compromise that at all.

I have just started working on it and lost 4kg is about 4 weeks with no impact to supply - if anything I feel mine is getting better as I eat healthier foods and cut out processed food and sugar plus eat more lean protein. I was tired all the time and craving cake type things in the afternoons. Now I have a hard boiled egg or some lean turkey breast as afternoon snacks with a piece of fruit. I also don't eat dinner after 630pm. I am eating loads of food, just all clean and healthy stuff - no white carbs and no junk. Im also walking every second day for 45 mins with the buggy and do some light resistance training when I can.

It's coming off slowly but I feel better already! Good luck!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd recommend getting a calorie king account and tracking your calories. You can safely eat 1500 calories a day while breast feeding which will still be little enough to help you lose weight

Michelle Bridges 12 week body transformation offers a breast feeding diet and exercise plan if you'd be interested in that? I highly recommend it! I'm going to do it now I'm pregnant to help me stick to a healthy pregnancy specific diet

Thanks
    Reviews
    I doing weight watchers too. I love the iPhone app it makes tracking easy... I've lost 4.5 kg in a month. 27kg to go...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh yeh should have mentioned it hasn't affected my milk supply although I've always had plenty

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I started my gluten dairy and sugar free diet I thought my supply would decrease but I was supplementing with more fruits and veg, and just ate healthy. I went from
    A size 12-14 down to a 6-8 in no time!! I'm tiny so a 12-14 is HORRIBLE on my height. It worked well for me and now I'm a vegan, I feel SO much better it's hard eating out and sometimes I have a little bit of sugar then but it's not all the time, I look at the word 'moderation' in a very different light these days!!

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the advice ladies! Gives me something to work on....now to get the motivation to do it!