Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh boo freak that sucks!!

Angus 4~6~13, loved - wanted - missed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm not doing IVF, and hoping I don't need to (we're in month 9 of ttc). I've banned my mum from talking about ttc, because she's so annoying. She said once (years ago, way before I even thought about ttc) "Those IVF babies look weird" wtf? & more recently she said to me (with an accusatory tone) "You're not doing IVF are you?" - hence the ban on ttc talk. I mean, does she think I'd choose IVF when I don't need it? She knows I hate injections!

People can be so annoying!

I have 2 friends who've done IVF. One is pg with her first after 1st round, and the other has 2 beautiful children who don't look "weird" at all!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Freak - she says it as though it's analogous to buying a handbag. That is pretty stupid. Likewise wish it had of been that easy for me to plan!!!

Funchu - I agree. WTF, how crazy to think IVF babies look weird...Prey tell in what way???

AFM - we ended up going to Sth Africa for an egg donor following a loooong IVF battle. if I had a dollar for every time someone asked me if my baby was going to be black we could have paid for the entire journey!!! Just for the record it would not have bothered us in any event. We just wanted to be blessed with parenthood.

Thanks
    Reviews
    While on the syranel my mum told me that now I know how she felt while going through menopause

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have enjoyed reading through this thread, thank you to everyone who has contributed. Here are my 'top 3'!

1. First time telling mum by phone (she's interstate) the details on my first upcoming stim cycle, I got halfway through when she interrupts and goes "hmmm, yes I'll have to go through all that with 'Georgie' soon." Georgie is her prize-winning golden retriever which she was sending to the vet to be AI'd with overseas dog sperm... I told her it's not really the same. My sister went ballistic when I told her!

2. First visit to the FS and he had a student in there with him. He left the room for a minute and she comes out with "oooh, so you're going to have a baby soon though IVF, how exciting!!!" Um, yeah, we are so 'excited' to be sitting in a FS office because we can't have kids naturally and don't know if it's even possible.

3. Upon returning to work after suffering badly from OHSS and a cancelled transfer, my boss (who knew ALL the details and was now pregnant herself with her 3rd) says "Oh, that's just preparing you for what actually being pregnant is like". Um, no, OHSS potentially can result in renal failure and me losing my ovaries, or worse, hysterectomy. I just responded with "I can't even think like that right now." She hasn't spoken to me about it since then (plus she's no longer my boss).

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is exactly why I have told very few, some people are so insensitive

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't like going out much anymore cause I am so sick of being asked when we are going to give our nephew a cousin..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've heard most of these at one time or another. The ones I hate the most are:
    "It will happen when it is meant to" - are you suggesting that there is a reason I'm not meant to be a mother right now?

Also on telling a friend I didn't think it was going to happen that cycle she replied with "oh no I have a good feeling it's definitely going to work" - hmm the fact that I started bleeding this morning would suggest otherwise.

My poor mum often says some doozies too - I know she means well she just got pregnant so easily she doesn't understand... Probably her best was
    "Your kid had better not turn out to be a little s*** after all the money you've spent" hmm yeah thanks mum!

To the people who have asked what you should say - I think don't try and make the person feel better because you can't! No advice or success stories or "don't worry" comments are going to make them feel better. Perhaps even judge whether to be excited for them or sad for them on the attitude they have. Probably the best/easiest thing is just to say "I've got my fingers crossed for you".

Me - 30, Dh - 38 ttc #1 since June 2011
    natural bfn June 2012 - mc 5.5 weeks; 4 cycles clomid; 1 unsuccessful ivf.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to phee83 For This Useful Post:

soccer mum  (03-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Loved these ones:

"Well if you can't have kids think of all the great holidays you can go on!" - yep cause that more than makes up for being childless, and yep can go on heaps of holidays with the money falling out of my pockets left over from IVF, acupuncture, a hundred medical tests and a tonne of supplements!

"Can't you just adopt?" - of course, what an easy fix, is there a section on eBay for that? Actually no because it's like $40k and 4 years or something equally ridiculous of red tape trying to get through that process.

"Gosh everyone seems to be doing IVF these days" - thanks, just cause there are other people in the sinking boat with me doesn't mean it's sinking any less!

I just can't help but go horribly sarcastic when I hear these types of comments, but thanks girls for making it a safe space to vent it's so nice to know you all 'get it', it's such a relief xxx lots of luck and strength to everyone xxx

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsSG For This Useful Post:

Funchu  (03-03-2014),MrsJoey  (12-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Aww this Thread is great defiantly put a Smile on my Dial...Some of the things people say!!!

I had one this morning from my lovely supportive Uncle!!! He called me up and said oh ive heard another one on the Radio (Fertility Clinic that is) and im like oh yea and he said yea Fertility First im like oh ok thanks Unc and he goes yea well you never know they might have a Tablet or something that can help his things (DH has low sperm count)...I didn't have the heart to tell him otherwise so i just said oh ok kool thanks ill look into it... Aww im only in the early stages we are ICSI in JUNE im sure i'll have more as the Journey goes on!!!