+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hey Meshell - congratulations darl! I didn't know you'd done another round since our group in Mar/Apr. Fingers crossed your pregnancy is uneventful.

Actually that reminds me of what my mum kept saying, when I was pregnant from the first IVF attempt (before unfortunately having a miscarriage) - after telling Mum & Dad I was pregnant, Mum said to me, "Oh you clever girl - on the first try!" or "I just can't get over how clever you are, getting pregnant on your first cycle", or some other such variation. She said this a few times. Ummm yeah, I don't really think it's due to any particular cleverness on my part. But she means well.

Broomdyke - there are no words. I can't believe such people actually exist.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh dear, I'm guilty of some of these things mostly the akward silence and asking questions about the process.
    I feel horrible now, because I've either not wanted to say anything that might offend or I honestly was just curious about the process because it's amazing to me that science can achieve these sports of things now.

What would you ladies recommend as a "good" response to telling someone you're doing ivf? In your head, what do you think you'd like to hear on telling someone? It would be lovely to have some insight, I'd hate to upset someone unintentionally and it seems such a difficult thing to gauge when you haven't experienced yourself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grebbeci View Post
    Meshell, you are so right about the multiples thing. We have just finally gotten our BFP on our 5th cycle and people keep saying, "maybe your having twins, they run in the family you know" There are 2 problems with that. 1. They only implanted one embryo therefore so if it was twins it would have to be identical twins which aren't hereditary anyway. 2. Twins run in DH's side of the family, sometimes it's impossible to explain to people that they need to run in the female's side of the family for them to be inherited, twins in DH's family cannot cause my ovaries to release 2 eggs.
    Sorry to crash but not entirely true...

Twins run in my X's family, every generation. And only one set are fraternal, rest (including mine) are identical.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think someone asked the same question earlier in the thread actually.

I don't think anyone has complained about people asking questions about the process, just people making thoughtless remarks. I can only speak for myself, but showing interest is really the best response. As long as it's not suddenly firing off a million questions that might be perhaps too personal. I'm happy to explain the process to anyone who is interested. But by the same token, I wouldn't ask you details of your sex life, for example. So as long as the questions are appopriate, I think that's a good response.

But perhaps the first thing to say might be, "I'm sorry you need to go through this, but really hope it is successful for you. I'm interested in learning more about the process - do you feel like talking about it, or not really?"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to peoniesarepretty For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (04-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by brooke88(mum2b09) View Post
    Sorry to crash but not entirely true...

Twins run in my X's family, every generation. And only one set are fraternal, rest (including mine) are identical.
    Well that's a coincidence ... but identical twins are a freak occurrence of nature; there isn't really a way for them to "run in families". (to my knowledge - happy to stand corrected if anyone can explain the science behind it)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by broomdyke View Post
    Last nite someone awkwardly asked me how I was pregnant because I'm a lesbian her daughter then said so you enjoyed the **** then? Awkward anyway I said I had ivf and the first woman was then like oh so they dont care that you aren't married. I was then remember I'm gay and she is like yeah. Some ppl are so stupid
    Small minded people drive me insane.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I actually had a very close friend of DH's (after telling me they fell pregnant first try with both their kids) ask aren't you worried what effect the drugs will have on the baby? actually I'm always worried, about everything. Thanks.

Plus have had most of the above! Very good thread, again it's good to know others can relate. There are some very humorous posts in here too, if you can't laugh about it sometimes what can you do!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh yeah, don't you just love the, "Oh, he just has to LOOK at me and I'm pregnant" comments?

In fairness, my friend who said that has no idea about any of our stuff. If she remembers saying it (was more than once), she'll probably feel terrible when she finds out - especially as our problem is precisely that my DH doesn't produce any sperm. So he can look at me all he likes, and do all manners of other things all he likes ... but it's not going to get me pregnant.
    (To think of all that effort & money wasted on birth control over the years )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow - to say that AFTER you know someone has problems is just unbelievable. And to his own son?

Thanks
    Reviews
    i get told have you tried this or that, or tried overseas, gone to this doctor, that doctor, drunk this or that. um im sure ive done everything under the sun after 8 transfers so please get off my case. some people are just not empathetic, makes me mad.