+ Reply to Thread

Default Antidepressant meds and Family Birth Centres (Mercy Heidelberg or Monash)

I would be considered as a very low risk pregnancy by most experts, based on age, weight, health etc and I have long had my heart set on giving birth at a natural birthing centre.

Recently I stopped taking antidepressents before trying to conceive, however I am finding it quite challenging and am considering going back onto a very low dose. I understand the risks associated with this and it is not a decision I am making lightly, but I have weighed up the pros and cons and feel it would be best for the baby as well as myself.

I understand that midwife led birth centres (e.g. Mercy, Monash) do not accept women who are taking any medication (including antidepressants at a very low dose) and so my dilemma is:

* Should I avoid taking antidepressants (even though I feel I really might need them) so that when I become pregnant, I can go to a natural birth centre?

* Should I take antidepressants and not mention this to the birth centres (and potentially wean off in the 3rd trimester)?

* Should I take antidepressants and go down the conventional hospital route? This is definitely not the road I want to go down.

What are the risks of taking antidepressants and not telling the birth centres? I understand this suggestion will be frowned upon, but I want to understand if there is an actual real risk to myself or the baby if I take this option.

RoarsomeMum is offline Right to speak, responsibility to listen..
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am not at ALL informed on what the birth centers will and will not accept.. I also will not tell you birth and your choice of birth is not important. It IS!!!!!!! and I hope like heck you can have the birth and the medication you need..

From a child and a parent perspective, I had your ideals and I think in the end being stable for my child, medically and mentally was the key.. The birth is hours but the parenthood is the forever after, and some of us simply need to focus on the ever after (NOT BECAUES BIRTH IS NOT IMPORTANT!!!!!! It really really is.. But if we are aware we need medication to function without kids, we really REALLY need it with them so I take the route of medication with full disclosure..

It's not that I frown apon the not telling.. it's just so so easy to fall into the trap of not seeking help.. and we need even MORE help after we become parents.. we want to break the cycle..

I pray there is some way they will; allow you the birth you want even on medication.. we should REWARD people like you who ask for help. xx

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RoarsomeMum For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (20-05-2012)

Roarsomemum, thank you very much for your words of support and encouragement. I was really touched by your post! Thank you.

MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there, anon123, what a sh!tty dilemma!

I really feel for you, and I would hate to see you loose out on your preferred birth choice, due to being on ADs. I suppose I still can understand the non-medication stance, from a professional point of view. Being honest with your perinatal care provider is of course recommended, but to be honest, I don't know what I would have done in your situation. Very tricky, indeed.

Just my little anecdotal experience:
    I had severe antenatal depression with my second born (after having experienced severe PND with my firstborn) and gave birth in a birth centre in QLD. I was not on ADs, but the birth centre midwifes actually tried to encourage me, and in hindsight I really wish I would have made that decision. I wish I could look back at the pregnancy with positive memories, but it was nothing but a horrible time for me. I was however able to have a fantastic birth, and although it is the policy and philosophy of most birth centres to discharge early (home, rather than spending a night or two in a maternity ward), they actually organised for me to have quite a few night in the maternity ward afterwards, so that I was supported.

Who knows, perhaps the birth centre is willing to be a bit flexible, like mine was? I would give them an honest call and explain the situation to them.

I really hope that they allow you to give birth there, and I agree wholeheartedly with RoarsomeMum, you should be rewarded for asking for help!

Best of luck, and please let us know how you go!