+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default B/F success - what u wish u knew b4

Hey all. So my baby is due in about five weeks. I am very determined to breastfeed this baby as I had to give up with DD due to birth related infection and the antibiotics. I would love to hear from others what helped provide success.

I also want to know how people dealt with the awkward times people visited and you were trying to get baby to latch. I really wish I could have no family or friends visit just so I have space to learn the ropes in private. That won't happen as in laws are flying in two days b4 and staying with us a month.

Did anyone use a shield? I have flat, large areola (sorry tmi). Do they help with this?

Thx.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by hopefully2 View Post
    Hey all. So my baby is due in about five weeks. I am very determined to breastfeed this baby as I had to give up with DD due to birth related infection and the antibiotics. I would love to hear from others what helped provide success.

I also want to know how people dealt with the awkward times people visited and you were trying to get baby to latch. I really wish I could have no family or friends visit just so I have space to learn the ropes in private. That won't happen as in laws are flying in two days b4 and staying with us a month.

Did anyone use a shield? I have flat, large areola (sorry tmi). Do they help with this?

Thx.
    I think what made things easier for me the 2nd and 3rd time was to just let my baby feed as much as possible and to ensure that they had the best possible start to breastfeeding- immediate skin-skin, drug free birth, no boob replacements (dummies or bottles) baby fed on cue. Really I just didn't try to complicate things.

I didn't have to deal with visitors but I guess if your feeling uncomfortable you could always ask them to leave the room while you got baby attached?

Not sure what you mean about the areole thing..mine are very big but it's never been an issue, I don't try to shove the whole thing in babies mouth I just let them attach themselves, they take as much as the need in. Maybe google baby led attachment?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

hopefully2  (20-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Breastfeed all the bloody time. That's what I had to do for good supply. Sometimes it seemed ridiculous but it worked. I breastfed in front of everyone but I know what you mean about that awkward age when they are needing to be attached. Use just a muslin cloth as a cover or just set your room up comfy and hang out in there more on the first few weeks. I used to have a piano teacher who breastfed her baby during lessons and she had this special bib thing she wore too. Nipple sheilds are great. I wore them a lot early while attachment wasn't perfect and it didn't take long for it to get easier and eventually I stopped with them. Don't use a bottle at all in the first weeks.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bumMum For This Useful Post:

hopefully2  (20-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Breastfed babies shouldn't be scheduled and might not sleep long stretches of time for a long while. That's okay, that's what nature has designed them to do.

Don't compare your breastfed baby to your formula fed baby, they aren't the same.

Feed as often as you can, the more you feed the easier it gets.

Ask for help every feed in hospital, better yet see a lactation consultant.

Don't have bottles or formula in your house at all.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to elleandsam For This Useful Post:

hopefully2  (20-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Everything everyone else said but wanted to add about the areola. I'm the same and I had a lot of anxiety about being told bub must have "most" of it in her mouth. Considering it was as big as her tiny face when she was born that wasnt going to happen! When I stopped fixating on that our attachment improved.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Etienne For This Useful Post:

hopefully2  (20-05-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    A lot of what has been mentioned. Plus -

Join your local ABA group - make contacts *now*, not just in the event that an issue arises.

Write down the Mum2Mum phone number and keep it somewhere handy (1800 686 268).

Go to a good breastfeeding info class.

Don't hesitate to see a LC if there are problems.

Take health professionals advice with a grain of salt (unless specifically qualified in lactation) - I have received some bad and downright incorrect 'advice' about breastfeeding from GP's and nurses.

Don't watch the clock. If your baby wants to feed, let them feed.

If you are uncomfortable with visitors watching you latch, ask them to leave for 5 mins

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

hopefully2  (20-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Immediate skin on skin and until your milk comes in feed at a minimum every 2-3 hours for only 15 mins maximum on each side. After your milk comes in 3-4 hrly is fine Understand that it can take 3-5 days for your milk to come in and before that baby may start to get hungry which is NORMAL! Their hunger brings your milk in quicker... If you introduce formula supplementation it will potentially delay your milk coming in fully so if you are committed to bfing avoid formula sups unless directed by your pediatrician.Have a read up on cluster feeding here: http://kellymom.com/parenting/parenting-faq/fussy-evening/Chances are your bub will cluster feed somewhere between 5-10 days old and you will question if you have enough milk etc but it is totally normal its just hard work but it does pass!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Stumbleine For This Useful Post:

hopefully2  (20-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh also, change your breastpads really frequently when your milk comes in and use disposable ones until ur milk settles so you don't get nipple thrush.Have a read of this article on nipple shields too. I wouldn't use them unless a qualified lactation consultant advised me too because they can come with their own set of issues and ideally your bub will be able to latch naturally: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/wean-shield/

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Stumbleine For This Useful Post:

hopefully2  (20-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you have time before bubs arrives, its a great idea to attend a breastfeeding education class, run by the ABA. It goes for 3 hours and has a lot more detail than what you get at antenatal classes.

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/classes
    Last edited by purplecat; 20-05-2012 at 11:54.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to purplecat For This Useful Post:

hopefully2  (20-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That newborn bubs may take over an hour to feed at a time. If they are feeding every two hours (timed from the start of the last feed!) then that doesn't leave much time in between feeds!

That you might not need breast pads and be leaking everywhere. All of the mums in my mothers group were talking about how much they leaked and how their boobs would spray everywhere after a shower. Just be aware that it might not happen to you. Mine never leaked once not even when really engorged.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to felicia81 For This Useful Post:

hopefully2  (20-05-2012)