+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Expressing for my premmie bub in special care

Just wondering if anyone has any tips as I'm expressing for my son who's 3 days old today and in special care as he was just over 4 weeks premmie. He's not yet being fed as he's on a CPAP so I'm expressing every 3 hours for about 10 mins from each side to establish supply. Could pump far more but dont want to have a HUGEover supply.

Anyone got any tips or been through this? Really want to breast feed when he's a le so trying to make sure I'm doing the right thing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi!
    My DD was just over 5 weeks premmie. She was in SCN for 10 days so I had to express too. I don't have any tips different to what you're already doing, just wanted to say we managed to breast feed fine once my milk came in.
    When I was released from hosp. I would drive in for the first two feeds, go home for lunch and express enough for overnight, then drive back for the last two feeds before bedtime. There was no issue with her going from the formula she was being (tube) fed, to bf. it was just a little hard for her to latch on as she was so small and my boobs were so big! Plus she had no sucking reflex. Once we got over that we were fine!
    Congratulations on your new little one. It will all work out just fine! Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Congrats on the arrival of your bubba!

The nurses in special care are a great resource. I had to express for my ds as he went straight into special care. I think in the first few days regular expressing is the key, including at least once overnight (it's the overnight feeds that really stimulate the milk production). But, it's also important to get rest, eat & drink well and stay healthy yourself.

Soon your bub will be allowed to BF from you and those feeds (although they may be infrequent initially as bubs will get tired) will help establish your milk supply too.

Just remember that whatever you can express is great. If that's 1ml or 10ml, or 100ml, each little bit is fantastic for your bub. There's absolutely no reason that you can't end up having a long & happy BFing relationship after this initial hiccup. My ds was in special care for 8 days (first BF on day 4, not exclusively BF til day 8) and I went on to feed him til 12 months

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 2boofulgals View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has any tips as I'm expressing for my son who's 3 days old today and in special care as he was just over 4 weeks premmie. He's not yet being fed as he's on a CPAP so I'm expressing every 3 hours for about 10 mins from each side to establish supply. Could pump far more but dont want to have a HUGEover supply.

Anyone got any tips or been through this? Really want to breast feed when he's a le so trying to make sure I'm doing the right thing
    Hi! Congratulations on your new arrival :-)

I've had 2 premmies. Dd1 was born at 31 weeks and dd2 at 36. Dd2 was fine and didn't need to be in SCN but dd1 was in NICU for 2 weeks then SCN for a Further 5 weeks.

I expressed for the 7 weeks with DD and hated it. I had low supply and was on meds and doing everything possible to increase supply but still had only enough milk for about half of her feeds. She was given formula for the rest.

I wouldn't worry too much about oversupply yet, from memory I was expressing 10-15 mins on each side 3 hourly as recommended by the lactation consultant so sounds the same as you.

My only other advice regarding feeding would be to try and do kangaroo care (skin to skin) as often as you can. When DD was on cpap they would not let us hold her very often but i was able to hold her at least twice a day for about an hour. Have them place your ds on your chest inside a jacket or under a blanket, once the tubes and other bits and pieces are in place you and DS will be so cosy you won't want to put him back in the isolette :-(

If DS needs to be tube fed, you can do kangaroo care while he has his feeds, I know it helped me to feel closer and more involved to be able to actually hold DD as she had her milk.

Hopefully your DS is not in for long and you can get him home into his own bed very soon. It's a very stressful time so try and look after yourself and eat as well as you can as that will understandably help with supply and establishing breastfeeding.

Good luck x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was in precisely the same situation as you last December. I think you are right on track - the nurses had me expressing 5 mins one side, 5 mins other side, back to first for 5 and then to second for 5. (10 mins each side in total, but broken up). I'm actually not entirely sure why but that is the procedure they taught me in special care. (and it was every 3 hours by the way).

However, that was the colostrum stage. My bub was on the breast before white milk came through.

I agree that the nurses who work in special care are a marvellous resource. When I asked questions I was given very extensive and detailed answers. I'm so grateful to them.

Hey! I forgot to say congratulations! This is a wonderful, magical time you will look back on so fondly. I hope little bub gets strong enough to feed from you soon and wish you a continued positive breastfeeding journey for as long as you want to keep going.

Look after yourself as much as possible - eat well and drink a lot of water.

I can't offer any more advice as I had no issues with my premmie. (I'd been given a dose of steroids a few weeks prior to delivery which I think made a huge difference for my baby). All the best and I'm sure loads of experienced Mums on here can support you.

Oh, one more thing I'll just say is that at hospital I used their industrial pump which was a Medela - and when I came home I hired the same pump for a month which was fairly pricey. At the end of the hire period I bought a Medela Swing which I found just as good. If I could turn back time I would have bought the Medela swing from the start and saved myself the cost of hire. (I bought the Swing second hand from Ebay and it was a fraction of the cost of a new one - and a fraction of the cost of the hire as well.)