+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Red face Please help me! I'm losing my mind!!

Hello, I was reluctant to start another "help me" thread, but I thought I may as well post my personal situation and hope that someone out there can suggest that little thing that may help us!

My DD is now 12 months old. DD was an excellent sleeper up until she was 5 months old, when I moved her from her basinette in our room into her cot in her own room. Each night she woke more and more until eventually DH was falling asleep on her floor settling her or she was ending up in our bed. I become so exhausted from getting up so many times during the night that we decided to move her cot into our room when she was 8 months old. I was expecting some big miracle thinking that as soon as she come back in with us that she would start sleeping through again - boy was I wrong!?

DD still continued to wake often and I was still exhausted, so we removed one side of her cot and pushed her cot up against our bed, so she is basically co sleeping but still in her own little bed. DD still ends up in our bed some nights. She really likes to be sleeping in my arms. DD is also a terrible day sleeper. DD will sleep for approximately 40 minutes after I put her to sleep then she will wake and want to sleep in my arms for around 2 hours. If I just lay with her and settle her back to sleep then leave her in her bed she will continue to wake her up, so I find it easier just to sit or lay with her.

I also have my 6 year old DS who is in school during the week so spending all this time with DD sleeping is not a major issue until weekends or school holidays! I can't exactly expect DS to entertain himself for 2-2.5 hours while I tend to DD's sleep needs! I find this really upsetting to know that the time that I should be spending with DS is taken away by DD being such an unsettled sleeper.

I'm also not getting enough done around the house! Which drives me nutty and makes me feel like things are out of control... Arrgh! Sorry, this has turned into a little of a vent thread

DD is bottle fed and has been from 6 months (my BF goal was 12 months but my milk supply dwindled, even after using Motilium) and she is having 3 meals a day plus snacks. DD also has a dummy.

I am totally against controlled crying and those types of things. I know why DD is waking and it's because she is so reliant on me, she just wants to be with me all the time.

Thank you so much for reading if you managed to make it this far... If anyone can offer me any advice I would be very appreciative!

TIA xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I should also mention that my DS was a terrible sleeper too - but not as bad as DD. DS has only just started sleeping through 8 months ago at the age of 5.5 years. Sometimes I think 'just hang in there, DD's sleep will get better... one day' but with another child to care for, I'm just not sure it's quite that simple!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi I'm subscribing cause I'm in exactly the same situation. I'm also totally against cc. I'm at a loss also how to improve things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you spoken to your CHN about her sleeping issues? Maybe it's worth giving a sleep school a call. In NSW we have Tresilian and Karitane. They help kids upto the age of 4, with sleeping problems.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have no advice,

My Ds is the same.
    He literally slept in my arms from birth - 14 months and still at 23 months at least once a week will wake if not being held,

At 1 he was going to bed between 10 pm - 12am and waking 3/4 times a night,

About 14 months he started waking hourly,
    He weened of his dummy at 16month and continued waking hourly wanting to nurse instead of his dummy

This has been a constant pattern since 16 months, some nights were back too 2-3 times (still going to bed at midnight) around 21 months I started fighting an earlier bed time, now at 23 months he goes down at 6.30 pm mostly, wakes roughly at 9.30, 12.30, 2.30-4am and gets up at 7 am

He has taken to waking up for an hour to an hour and a half over night we co-sleep, him sleeping in his own bed simply wouldn't happen.

The tiredness is so overwhelming *hugs*
    Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there,
    My DD was also like this and only wanted to sleep while being held. What I did was slowly change the way I was putting her to sleep, so for example i quite often used to hold her, bounce on a fit ball and sing to her and pat her bum all at the same time. So one day I stopped the bouncing and just sat on the ball and sung song and patted. Maybe a week later I got rid of the ball and just held, sung and patted. Week later I just held and sung. Slowly I tried laying her in the cot and singing to her, I ended up having to pat her again but at least she was in the cot and not having to be held. So I patted and sung while she was in the cot then when she got used to that I stopped patting and just left my hand on her chest or back and sung until she was asleep. I just tried to do a little bit less every few days. Then oneday I was able to lay her in the cot and give her a kiss goodnight and leave the room and she went to sleep! It was a VERY LONG process but it did eventually work and no crying it out/controlled crying involved.
    It was really hard work and some nights it didn't work and in order to get sleep we had to just do whatever would work.
    During this time i also stopped doing overnight feeds. To do this i kind of made deals with myself I would say if she wakes before 12 I would settle her by whatever means but won't offer a breastfeed. If she wakes after 12 I would feed to sleep so we could get sleep. I gradually just kept pushing the time later and later until
    She no longer had overnight feeds.
    The first time she had a big stretch of sleep was the night before her 1st birthday and it was 8hours.
    I would also recommend the book "No cry sleep solution" by Elizabeth Pantley

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hope that made some sort I sense. PM me if you want to ask any questions!
    I should also add that since that night she slept 8hours she then regularly would sleep 11-12hrs overnight.
    Day sleep has always been tricky for us but I was happy to get sleep at night. Having said all that the last 2 weeks have been hell! But I'm hoping it's teething related..
    Good Luck