+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsTiggyWinkle View Post
    Not much bugs me really. I don't like kids sitting on the couch if they have shoes on, but wearing shoes in the house is Ok esp in winter as we have floorboards that can be a bit cold.

And it bugs me if someone comes over and stays to mealtime, you have to say 'excuse me i just need to get the lunch/dinner ready', and they still make no move to leave. then I feel obliged to offer to include them, and they say OK... i don't mind feeding you but geez you have been here three hours already and didn't you have any plans to feed your kids? Now i have to make 2 chicken breasts stretch to 7 people and i'm out of rice
    I occasionally have a friend who stays over for aaaaages, shes a really good friend in so many ways I always want to be nice to her but she will stay over for hours and hours but say she doesnt want food, or shes going out for tea or whatever, but then DH and I will be starving, but feel weird if we eat in front of her!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by austmum View Post
    I know what you mean about the animals tough love. I hate when people have to say they hate cats when I have three. I think it's pretty rude and they should keep that to themselves! We even had a small child tell my child "my dad hates cats and would shoot yours" what a horrible thing to teach a young child and my kiddo was very upset.
    Ughhhh I hate this as well!!!!

People who come over and see very well that we have 2 cats.. And will say - oh I hate cats.

Well guess what buddy, I hate people who feel the need to voice their opinion in my home about their hatred of my beloved fur babes. No they're not annoying, & no they're not "crab pot meat"... Gtfo.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Atlantic Puffin For This Useful Post:

austmum  (20-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have no issues with people having animals in the house but I do hate going to someone's house and there is fur everywhere so when you're there you get fur stuck up your nose and when you leave you're covered in fur from sitting on their couch. I know I know, it's their house and all but if you're going to have pets in your house (which I do) clean up after them! Houses that are full of fur balls and smell like a dirty cat litter is gross!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Areca For This Useful Post:

2girls1boyplus1  (20-05-2012),headoverfeet  (20-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Areca View Post
    I have no issues with people having animals in the house but I do hate going to someone's house and there is fur everywhere so when you're there you get fur stuck up your nose and when you leave you're covered in fur from sitting on their couch. I know I know, it's their house and all but if you're going to have pets in your house (which I do) clean up after them! Houses that are full of fur balls and smell like a dirty cat litter is gross!
    I have 2 indoor cats and couldn't agree more. I vacuum regularly and if I know someone is coming over I use those sticky rollers on the couch. I feel embarrassed if people get fur on them. The litter tray never smells thankfully as its changed twice a day. I'm paranoid about that from visiting another friend with cats.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh yes, me too.

OT, but our neighbour had two indoor dogs, she was stumped as to how her landlord found out, but when you walked in her front door the smell of dog hit you, there was fur all over the furniture... I do often think some pet owners don't notice the impact of their pets on their home.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    yeah this! I have a friend with a big moulting dog and she doesnt keep on top of it too well (two little kids, works and an unheldpful DH so its not really her fault) but still it used to gross me out when the kids came home with dog hair everywhere, i'd pick it off their clothes and out of their snack boxes, plus the smell of dog and the paw marks all over the windows etc. And he tries to come up and lick you and put his dribbly head on my lap. I know my friend loves her dog but it really grosses me out

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (20-05-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have to agree, indoor pets gross me out we generally shower when we get home if we have been visiting a friend with an indoor pet.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (20-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    People that don't wipe their shoes at the door.
    Ppl that put their feet up on my lounge
    Unexpected visitors
    Leaving the toilet seat up
    Expecting me to constantly entertain when stuff needs to be done
    When they dont know when to leave!! (Dd was 3 weeks old and BIL rocks up unannounced and didn't leave till 1am... uh I have to get up and feed for an hour every 4 hours!!!
    Ppl that don't put their cups in the sink
    Ppl that ask u if u need help- if u really wanted to help get off your butt and help, clearly I can't wash the dishes while dd is hanging off me
    Ppl that question your parenting
    Ppl that come around dinner time and I have to give them my plate and go without dinner
    Ppl that aren't quiet when dd is sleeping, yes if you slam a door it will wake her!!
    Ppl that help themselves to our fridge and cupboards
    Ppl who ask for a specific drink eg fanta and when you dont have it decline a drink all together

mummy to gods gift to us

13. The Following User Says Thank You to knomie For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (20-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A lot of things have been mentioned that I don't quite 'get'. I'm wary asking about this, as I know I'm about to come across as thinking I have all the answers - and I don't mean it that way at all - but with some of the things, I don't quite understand how they happen.

Obviously some things you can't control.

But things like how long people stay... Well - I tend to (very nicely) ask/ tell people to leave if they stay too long. Not in a nasty way - just in a "I hate to kick you out, but we've got an early start/ I've got to get DD's dinner so we're going to have to call it a day" type way. (Said a bit better than that).

And with things like coasters/ cups - if I see someone putting a cup down without a coaster then I leap in there with a coaster, and explain that I'm very particular about the furniture not marking. Again, in a nice way.

My friends/ family all know never to turn up unannounced, and most of them (all except 1) feel the same about that anyway, so it was never an issue. But I have said as a general thing how much I hate people turning up without calling, so I think everyone knows that.

I don't think I've offended anyone. It's all said very politely, and I wouldn't be offended if the same was said back.

I'd hate to think that someone wouldn't tell me if I had outstayed my welcome! I'd try to pick up on signals, but tbh I'd usually assume that someone would say if they had to be somewhere/ wanted an early night, etc.

As I said, I'm definitely not trying to sound like a big know it all, but I genuinely don't understand why (with some of these things) people wouldn't just say something to the guest in question??

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (20-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have a collection of various beer glasses high up in a cupboard not the easiest to reach. For some reason people dont notice our normal glasses (at eye level) and use the beer glasses for water or softdrink. Ohhh when people wash their hands and flick water all over the mirror.