+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    I still want to know the answer to my question (asked a few pages back).

Why doesn't anyone tell the friends it's time to go home/ use a coaster????!
    Ummm, I am actually not sure why... That sounds silly as I'm a grown woman. I guess I am a little sensitive and would feel rude or would not want to embarass my friend/s. My friends don't sound nearly as bad as what has been mentioned here though since I posted! lol

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 3InATub For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (20-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I personally wouldn't want to visit someone who was very protective of their things. It would make me uncomfortable and I wouldn't feel at home. I don't think it's rude to state that some people may feel uncomfortable in such a situation. *I* would not feel comfortable. I'm sure lots of other people wouldn't feel comfortable.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub
    *shrugs* My 'things' that I'm protective about are kept safe...anything else that might accidentally get broken is not a problem. My furniture...yeah be kind to it. I like my furniture and I'm 'house proud.' Doesn't mean I'm not welcoming. I wouldn't go and throw my keys on to someone else's couch, or let my kids put their shoes on their furniture or walk around their house when they were eating something messy...to me that's common courtesy. There's a difference between common courtesy and unwelcoming...being told you can't eat non messy food in a carpeted room when you're a grown adult, or having crumbs swept out from under you when you're still eating...that's unwelcoming. Being respectful of other's property = common courtesy to me and I'm lucky, my friends seem to all think the same

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Areca For This Useful Post:

Justwant2beamummy  (20-05-2012),Mod-Myztik  (20-05-2012),SugarSkull  (20-05-2012)

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Areca View Post
    *shrugs* My 'things' that I'm protective about are kept safe...anything else that might accidentally get broken is not a problem. My furniture...yeah be kind to it. I like my furniture and I'm 'house proud.' Doesn't mean I'm not welcoming. I wouldn't go and throw my keys on to someone else's couch, or let my kids put their shoes on their furniture or walk around their house when they were eating something messy...to me that's common courtesy. There's a difference between common courtesy and unwelcoming...being told you can't eat non messy food in a carpeted room when you're a grown adult, or having crumbs swept out from under you when you're still eating...that's unwelcoming. Being respectful of other's property = common courtesy to me and I'm lucky, my friends seem to all think the same
    I agree and like you I'm also very lucky as my wonderful friends all seem to have the same opinion as well.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-RaryGirl For This Useful Post:

Areca  (20-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Meh - I'll never understand why people buy easily damageable furniture when they have kids.

Don't say style vs. practicality, because there are many lovely lounges that are more practical for a household with children, they're just not white leather.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (22-05-2012),starla  (23-05-2012),trishalishous  (20-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Meh - I'll never understand why people buy easily damageable furniture when they have kids.

Don't say style vs. practicality, because there are many lovely lounges that are more practical for a household with children, they're just not white leather.
    I don't have white leather, I have grey leather. I have leather because my DD1 has a severe allergy to dust mites and her allergy is also why we live in a carpet free house. It's also a lot more practical over all....much easier to wipe it over to remove marks than have to scrub out stains. I mean I could buy some lawn chairs and stick them in the house...I wouldn't give a rats about what happened to them but that would hardly be comfortable, or welcoming

Thanks
    Reviews
    People who dont say please or thank you and who leave their dirty dishes and rubbish laying around for me to clean up!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ShanandBoc For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (20-05-2012)

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I personally wouldn't want to visit someone who was very protective of their things. It would make me uncomfortable and I wouldn't feel at home. I don't think it's rude to state that some people may feel uncomfortable in such a situation. *I* would not feel comfortable. I'm sure lots of other people wouldn't feel comfortable.
    I totally get what you are saying here, I have a friend who i have actually stopped visiting because all i hear is a series of no's and don't touch... its all fairly standard stuff but its constant and i just can't relax, and we are well behaved visitors

On the other hand it makes me glad reading this thread that i can completely choose who comes into my house. having no family around that just drop in, we 99% choose who comes into our house. And if a visit is too hard, people just don't get invited back again.

But if they tossed their keys on my expensive leather lounge, they would be set straight. I'm with Girl X, I have no problem reminding a visitor to be careful, and if they don't respect that or take offence, then they are unlikely to visit again. Too bad

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (20-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just with the leather lounge comments, we have a chocolate leather lounge and I find it fantastic for kids as it's so easy to clean. The same with the car, we got leather seats as you just wipe it over to clean if they spill anything.

We have had our leather lounge for about 6 years and have no intention of replacing it until the kids are older. Mind you, it's been through 3 kids and my family/friends children and still looks pretty good. Just will add that I'm not strict with it at all, outside of common courtesy.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 3InATub For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (20-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Um a bit of a spin off here but I have never thought twice about washing post-nappy-change hands in a kitchen sink...? I thought that was a totally ok thing to do considering all the other gross stuff that goes into and on the average kitchen sink!

And regarding the shoes off thing - I get sweaty/clammy feet constantly and I am really self conscious about it. I usually leave my shoes on in other ppls houses otherwise I leave sweaty footprints on their floors and its really embarrassing!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

17. The Following User Says Thank You to breakthemould For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (20-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a leather couch and no rules. It gets eaten on daily, laid on, played on, my two dogs used to jump on it. I've spilt red wine on it, milk, popcorn is currently down the back of it.

Amazing that it isn't trashed but give it a vacuum and a spray and wipe and it looks brand new. 7 years and going strong!

That said NO ONE has ever come over my house and treated it like rubbish even though I do. I don't think I would be worried about the lounge so much as their lack of respect for my property.

Also, if it's raining take your shoes off. I don't like cleaning these stupid white tiles.

ETA: my mum has a leather lounge that she got when my younger brother was about 1. He's 21 now and it only really just needs to be replaced now.