+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default how to start my 4.5month old on solids??

hi,
    i am starting my 4.5 month old on solids as he is waking during the night and chewing on his hands a lot. so far i have only done 3 days of rice cereal at 5pm and i will start to add fruit to it soon. Do i just stick to the one meal a day for a while and then progress to 2 in a few weeks or what do i do? do they only need one meal a day until 6 months when we drop a bottle feed?
    look forward to your replies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It depends on your bub. Everyone you ask will tell you something different so my advice is to go with your instincts. Mine started on pumpkin and vege pure as he wouldn't eat the rice cereal.( he was 4 months). I just offered it until he didn't want anymore ( he usually had half a tube) then offered other things from there until he was on 3 meals a day and 4 bottles a day in between. Hope that helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've just started baby #3 on solids and for each baby I start with pumpkin and offer once a day for three or four days then I offer another vegetable ie potato which I offer for 3 to 4 days again (by itself). I do this with each new vege so if there is a problem/reaction I can quickly know what has caused it. I always found veges are better to start on as fruit is sweet so they may reject the veges if fruit offered first. Just go thru all the veges and once bub gets thru the 3-4 days worth you can then mix together but never mix a new food in with already tried foods until its eaten well for those 3-4 days. I offer once a day and always after a milk feed then after a week I do breaky lunch and dinner but it's always just a tablespoon or so. All the best!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    The advice usually given is to start new food in the morning meal rather than evening as if bubs has a reaction you have more time to see it and respond as necessary. Can you increase milk volumes in the evening to start with, while he is getting used to food during he day?

I started with 1 meal a day and introduced more fruits and veg over a few weeks. Once he was ok with that moved to 2 meals. At 5.5 months he started to wake more frequently at night so I increased again to 3 meals and started to add in protein. Unless you are worried about food intolerances by 6 months you can give most foods.

Milk feeds probably won't start to be dropped until 9/10 months...maybe even 1 year.