+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Spread of sickness in school - Need advice + VENT :(

vent
    Last edited by Ready To Run; 21-05-2012 at 12:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    One idiot is not representative of all parents.

Fact of life, the first year of school or kinder will be one of coughs, sniffles and sick kids.

It's not about bad parenting or lazy teachers - its a fact of life.

My kids get sent so long as they don't have a temp, green snot, a hacking cough or a dodgy tum/bum.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I've never really been bothered by illnesses when DS caught them in child care. Little kids are little kids and they're prone to passing on and picking up bugs. It's like a rite of passage lol.

Now that DS is older he's very, very rarely sick. I think once they get them out of the way they're better off for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post
    One idiot is not representative of all parents.

Fact of life, the first year of school or kinder will be one of coughs, sniffles and sick kids.

It's not about bad parenting or lazy teachers - its a fact of life.

My kids get sent so long as they don't have a temp, green snot, a hacking cough or a dodgy tum/bum.
    I am like you but unfortunately I think it is a case here of the parents and teachers. I hate giving my child a day off school because education is so important but seriously if you knew these people you'd understand that the is no other word for them other than lazy except maybe feral. Sorry but this has just gotten to me so much and DH works away and I am exhausted and very tired and haven't had a decent sleep since that first week of term.
    Last edited by Ready To Run; 19-05-2012 at 11:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Unfortunately it's very hard to stop the spread of illness in places where people gather together. Quite often, infected people are contagious before they even show any symptoms. I know its disappointing to hear some parents knowingly send their ill children to school but what can you do? If they don't get it from school, they get it elsewhere, like shopping centres, playgrounds etc. I guess all you can do is encourage your own child to follow basic hygiene rules, eat superfoods to help boost his immunity and keeping him home when he is sick. It would be nice if other parents do the same but unfortunately you can't force them to. Sorry to hear your little one hasn't been well and I hope he gets better soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As others have said, itmay be frustrating, but unfortunately you can't control what other parents do.
    When it co
    mes to having the kids wash hands etc... if that's what you want, then maybe give your son a small bottle of anti-bacterial gel and have hi use it before he eats. Another possibility if you're son's particularly prone to getting sick is the flu shot. It's a reality that schools are exceptionally good places to catch colds/flu etc. Obviously you'd have to decide whether it's worth it for a child, but I get it these days as I'm a teacher...a few days off would cost me a lot of money.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first thought is why is your son getting so ill all the time? Are other children in the school catching every bug going past or you DS in particular? Did he go to daycare/playgroup/other child-group activities when he was a toddler?

I ask because most kids have built up a reasonable immunity by the time they are in yr1 (age 6/7yrs I presume), and go through the back to back viruses when they are toddlers (age 2-4). My DS, also in yr 1, will usually get a couple of viral illnesses per year. It seems you DS immunity is very low to be catching everything that comes his way? It might be worth talking to your GP about it and doing what you can to strengthen his immunity.

I know at our school, by Yr 1, children are let out at lunch time/recess and it is up to them if they wash their hands. Quite frankly, I feel it is all the anti-bacterial handwashes/wipes that parents are using these days that are causing our childrens lack of immunity. Parents feel they are protecting their kids from germs but in actual fact they are stopping them from developing the protection they need in later life. Anyway, that is another issue, but I wouldn't want my children using alco gel every day.

Obviously children who are very unwell should not be at school, but if parents kept kids home who had a bit of a sniffle, clear runny nose or dry cough (which can go on for ages) there would be barely anyone at school, and a lot of parents losing income. If a kids has a fever or green snot, they should be sent home pronto.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is this your child's first year in formal care? Did they attend childcare before this? If not, that will probably explain it. My DS was sick what felt like his entire first six months at daycare (20-26 months). Now he rarely gets bugs. If you think the school has poor hygiene definitely bring it up with the school. But my son's daycare room had fantastic hygiene, and he still got sick.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS1 has just started full time day care and me full time work. He has had a cold since he started. That is 3 weeks now, runny nose, bit of a cough, but generally very happy and running around and eating. I asked my sister how sick is too sick as she has had 2 kids in full time child care and she said sick sick, like very miserable, temp, nasty cough etc.
    If I was to keep DS home for his cold I would have had 3 weeks off work when I have just come back from mat leave.
    I know he will basically be sick continuously this year, but it's going to happen now or school so we may as well get it over with.

somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS caught every bug imaginable in his first year of childcare, he has had 11 absent days because of this. It sucks, but it's how kids build up immunity to make healthy adults. As long as he has no underlying health issues, it's best for him to get these bugs now while he is young and healthy and resilient. Over sanitizing our kids really doesn't help either, it just delays the inevitable. Also, it is completely normal for children to get multiple viruses in a year, at least getting one case of gastro, a cold and some type if ears/nose/throat infection is actually quite normal, then throw in a skin infection (school sores, chickenpox, etc) for good measure. And the majority of these will occur in term 2 and 3.